HELI /GYRO ROTORS

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

skyrider

G'day All,
Is there a difference between airfoils used on Helicopters and Gyro's.
Could a Helicopter rotor blade be used successfully on an Autogyro to perhaps provide greater lift in a gyro designed for cross country travel and a heavier payload ie luggage and fuel.
For example........a set of blades from an R44 fitted to an Autogyro with 2 seats fuel for 800 plus miles and baggage.

Cheers

Rob

TFF

I think it is opposite. Most small helicopters have symmetrical blades to keep the leverage to move them consistent through the range of motion. When the blades move to a flat bottomed airfoil they start having power steering controls. Because gyro blades dont feather they can use a flat bottom airfoil. Not sure of the R44 but it would be a big gyro. I think your range is a little optimistic most small helicopters have a 2 1/2 hour endurance and every gyro I have seen is slower. 800 miles at 70mph sounds rough.

greywuuf

Generally speaking greater lift=greater drag
so more lifting capacity is usually offset by either more Horsepower or reduced speed.

skyrider

Thanks for the replies..........not a great deal of info regarding rotorcraft available.
Have a look at the CALIDUS and ARROW AC10 gyro's they have cruise speeds of around 100mph and 5hrs endurance..........not to shabby for a gyro.

Cheers

Rob

Dan Thomas

Thanks for the replies..........not a great deal of info regarding rotorcraft available.
Have a look at the CALIDUS and ARROW AC10 gyro's they have cruise speeds of around 100mph and 5hrs endurance..........not to shabby for a gyro.

Cheers

Rob
I would take numbers like that with some skepticism. You might get 100 MPH and you might get 5 hours, but I doubt you'll get both at the same time.

Dan