Heart Valve REplacement = No Medical Certificate?

Discussion in 'Rules and Regulations / Flight Safety / Better Pil' started by Southron, Apr 24, 2013.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Apr 24, 2013 #1

Southron

Southron

Southron

I was told that a Private Pilot that had a heart valve replacement would lose his Medical Certificate and be ineligible to ever get another one. I this true?

2. Apr 24, 2013 #2

fredoyster

fredoyster

fredoyster

Yes and no. I researched this extensively last year as my significant other had a heart valve replaced and she wants to learn to fly. True, the medical is gone as soon as the procedure is done. But, it can be reissued in many cases with a "Special Issuance" which is renewed every year or two with the medical. There are some conditions about what meds are permissible, and there can be no atrial fibrillation, etc. Your AME can explain the procedures for getting a Special Issuance.

3. Apr 24, 2013 #3

D Hillberg

D Hillberg

D Hillberg

Call Jerry Dees in the VanNuys FSDO He hade some plumbing work done & got his Medical back- He went through the hoops so he would know.

4. Mar 28, 2014 #4

Jaysmiths

Jaysmiths

Jaysmiths

Old thread, I know...

I had a heart attack a couple of years ago, went through the Special Issuance procedure, got the letter yesterday from FAA clearing me to move forward and laying out the conditions for future renewal.

it can be worked through if you are VERY persistent and are flight worthy, health wise. It involved various testing and much patience/perseverance.

i'll be glad to answer any questions anyone may have about this.

Jay