Headwind on skis Love the engine sound

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Riggerrob

Too cute!
This is one of the few times that a military paint scheme makes sense on a homebuilt because this plane reminds us of the "razorback" Fairchilds flown by the RCAF during the 1930s.

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
It's the 5V. Here is a video that the owner posted of ground runs with that engine. It looks like a great combination!

Mohawk750

These videos are all taken at our local field not far from me. Dave is a friend and neighbour and has build several airplanes. It's great to see him out tearing it up with the Headwind.

I saw the project in it's early stages but hadn't see the winter ski videos, Thanks for sharing!

flitzerpilot

Riggerrob, I totally agree. It looks almost exactly like an early FC-2, especially in flight. The Canadian colours and markings complete the effect along with that lovely radial sound. A Canadian Flitzer Goblin is being built with that engine in view and I'd love to see it on skis in a Canadian winter setting.

Stroud43F

Dave Stroud here with the Headwind above with the Verner radial. Looks like I'll have to figure a way to change the big S to a picture or something on the left bar. Any questions about the Headwind / Verner , please ask. Interesting reference to the Fairchild FC-2. I was building a replica Fairchild 51 with a Housai radial but gave it up about 6 years ago due to it's size and my age/health. The Headwind has a resemblance also to the smallish Aeronca C3 Razorback too. Previously I built and flew a few old ultralights...FP202 and Skypup. I meant to add that my previous plane that I built was a Christavia Mk1 first flown with a Subaru, then a Corvair with a Rinker redrive ( POS ) and I finally came to my senses and installed a Lyc 0-235. That was C-FDWS.

Last edited:

plncraze

HBA Supporter
Welcome Dave! How does the Headwind compare to the Skypup? Did your Skypup have ailerons?

Stroud43F

Thanks for the welcome. The Skypup and Headwind have nothing in common other that they are high-wing and the engine is in front. No ailerons on the Skypup.

flitzerpilot

Hello Dave, and welcome! That little Headwind certainly looks fast in that video. What speed were you making in the fly-bys?

It definitely has the look of an FC-2 and of course the Aeronca C-3 on which it is based. The Canadian Goblin builder who plans to fit the Verner 5V would also like to fit skis on his aeroplane in due course. I'll send a ski-biplane image later!

Doran Jaffas

The headwind is a great design. Very nice.
The blinding speed of a low pass, the wind in your face in the frostbite on your cheeks, the thrill of a 4G pull up into a hard climbing turn! The spirit is there and it doesn't get any better than that!

Headwind Don

Hello Dave, and welcome! That little Headwind certainly looks fast in that video. What speed were you making in the fly-bys?

It definitely has the look of an FC-2 and of course the Aeronca C-3 on which it is based. The Canadian Goblin builder who plans to fit the Verner 5V would also like to fit skis on his aeroplane in due course. I'll send a ski-biplane image later!
The Headwind is NOT based on the C2, C3 or ant other airplane. It's its own design front to back,. Don Stewart

Doran Jaffas

The blinding speed of a low pass, the wind in your face in the frostbite on your cheeks, the thrill of a 4G pull up into a hard climbing turn! The spirit is there and it doesn't get any better than that!
Trying to figure out what all the fuss is about. The Headwind has always been its own design. Not a knock off or lookalike.

Stroud43F

Trying to figure out what all the fuss is about. The Headwind has always been its own design. Not a knock off or lookalike.
The Headwind is NOT based on the C2, C3 or ant other airplane. It's its own design front to back,. Don Stewart
And a darned good design to boot ! My Headwind is a sterling example of what a person can build in a short time with not extensive experience and not a huge cash outlay. Don struck this design out of the park and copied nothing. The plane is easy to build and dead easy to fly. It would make a great club project. In these days of complicate this and complicate that, the Headwind gets back to the roots of casual, fun flying. I did take the time to enclose the cockpit for winter flying on skis. Those fly passes above on skis probably were done at about 90 mph at 2,000 rpm with the Verner 5V. I'm still learning and experimenting with engine/prop parameters with the Headwind. The Headwind and the radial seem to like each other. I'll be out having fun with the snowmobiles on the river this coming weekend. Sneak up from behind a group of them and cast your shadow down on them......and then watch the snow fly !

Attachments

flitzerpilot

Apologies to Don Stewart. I shouldn't have said 'based on'. It was merely that the overall appearance is reminiscent of the early Aeroncas and as such I find it very appealing. Dave Stroud's example, complete with radial engine and skis, combined with his colour scheme has nostalgic resonances of a particular time and place.

Doran Jaffas

And a darned good design to boot ! My Headwind is a sterling example of what a person can build in a short time with not extensive experience and not a huge cash outlay. Don struck this design out of the park and copied nothing. The plane is easy to build and dead easy to fly. It would make a great club project. In these days of complicate this and complicate that, the Headwind gets back to the roots of casual, fun flying. I did take the time to enclose the cockpit for winter flying on skis. Those fly passes above on skis probably were done at about 90 mph at 2,000 rpm with the Verner 5V. I'm still learning and experimenting with engine/prop parameters with the Headwind. The Headwind and the radial seem to like each other. I'll be out having fun with the snowmobiles on the river this coming weekend. Sneak up from behind a group of them and cast your shadow down on them......and then watch the snow fly !
You have me seriously thinking about building one. I have liked that design ever since they can first remember seeing it and I was not old then. I'm about to turn 60 and that design stayed with me. Also along the same lines but a completely different airplane is the aDormoy Flying Bathtub. I saw a two-place version of one and really thought that was a neat back to basics airplane.
Keep sending pictures and stories of your flying. Truly a unique and in its own way a very beautiful design reflecting what aviating is all about.