Head wing cantilever.

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

stanislavz

HBA Supporter
Spin off from shoulder wing / cantilever high wing two seater.

1633513965191.png

This one airplane : CZAW Parrot - Wikipedia Puts pilots head in front of main spar. Price for this - forward swept wing.

Do other know similar designs ? I really do not see any other possible option to have perfect visibility without feeling of driving from rear seat of a car.

Bill-Higdon

Spin off from shoulder wing / cantilever high wing two seater.

View attachment 116554

This one airplane : CZAW Parrot - Wikipedia Puts pilots head in front of main spar. Price for this - forward swept wing.

Do other know similar designs ? I really do not see any other possible option to have perfect visibility without feeling of driving from rear seat of a car.
Viking SF-2A Cygnet or if you can find a kit then the Andreasson BA-7, Bolkow Bo.208, Malmo Flygindustri MFI-9

rv7charlie

Lifetime Supporter
Or, just design the fuselage with an extra 6-8 inches of height. If you're paranoid about fuselage cross sectional area, think of it as a Questair Venture fuselage turned on its edge (not a lot of speed penalty in a Venture for the extremely wide cockpit), or think of it as having a belly pod (common on singles in commercial operations) over your head instead of under your seat.

Riggerrob

Stemme motor-glider achieves the same configuration by re-balancing the engine. It is located in the center fuselage - under the wings' center section - and a shaft extends forward through the cockpit to the prop hub.
That would also be possible with an electric motor mounted in the extreme nose but batteries or ICE generator aft of the cockpit.

When forward sweep is less than 10 degrees, it behaves structurally and aerodynamically like a straight wing.

stanislavz

HBA Supporter
Or, just design the fuselage with an extra 6-8 inches of height. If you're paranoid about fuselage cross sectional area, think of it as a Questair
No, i am not paranoid, i just do not see it elegant.. plus felling of driving from back of the seat in a car.

rv7charlie

Lifetime Supporter
No, i am not paranoid, i just do not see it elegant.. plus felling of driving from back of the seat in a car.
I don't see your point. Raising the wing allows the same seating position as a strut braced high wing. Do you feel like you're driving from the back seat in a C172/182?

Turd Ferguson

HBA Supporter
Cessna put the pilot's head well in front of the wing spar on the Model 177. They didn't need to sweep the wing forward but did move the spar back to ~40% chord which helped. They were not able to get adequate pitch authority with a stabilizer/elevator so they switched to a stabilator.

stanislavz

HBA Supporter
Cessna put the pilot's head well in front of the wing spar on the Model 177. They didn't need to sweep the wing forward but did move the spar back to ~40% chord which helped. They were not able to get adequate pitch authority with a stabilizer/elevator so they switched to a stabilator
But it is a 4 seater.

stanislavz

HBA Supporter
I don't see your point. Raising the wing allows the same seating position as a strut braced high wing. Do you feel like you're driving from the back seat in a C172/182?
kind of..

Ok, thank you all for replays, it is not an easy goal for two, side by airplane.

stanislavz

HBA Supporter
But it works with 2 people in the front seats - like a 2 place.
Just take out the back seat if ti's a problem and have a camping airplane.
By having tail as an extra ballast ? Ok, my current bird is an skyranger in egg phase. Heads back rest at wing rear spar. Similar is in kitfox and other small, ul class birds. + you have fuel tanks behind seats. And all this to counter weight of an engine..

How can you do it by placing 50% of mtow in front of spar ?

Niels

Viking SF-2A Cygnet or if you can find a kit then the Andreasson BA-7, Bolkow Bo.208, Malmo Flygindustri MFI-9
Plus the good looking ARV2
Nice plane
An 60kW/2400 rpm electric motor up front and a 30 kW genset in each strut -wing junction.The wings can even have sweep back then.

stanislavz

HBA Supporter
Plus the good looking ARV2
Nice plane
An 60kW/2400 rpm electric motor up front and a 30 kW genset in each strut -wing junction.The wings can even have sweep back then.
Plus i think i have read a story on how hard it was to put different engine after two strokers ran out of production. Due to higher weight.