HBA would be a better place if...

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Pilot-34

Most of me is in IL but my hearts in Alaska
Is that how you spell that? 😃 Don't think I ever saw it in print before.

No, I don't decide. I was just going along with the general consensus.
Actually, it’s “chutzpah”.
Lol I’m not sure if I’ve ever seen it in print either , cluttonfred It’s probably right ! On the other hand this is American English so it probably doesn’t even matter

TFF

I think everyone knows who the ban people’s alter egos are. Some have some semblance of trying to stay in the lane and some others keep showing the reason they got banned. I don’t think Chopper was banned for aviation as much for flipping out.

Pilot-34

It does seem like on most forums of the most interesting people in the ones that get banned. And of course it’s pretty easy to get around the ban, I mean after all this is the Internet.
I guess the best thing would be some sort of a low level spanking ,one punishment harsh enough to be a large pain in the butt but not bad enough to make it worthwhile to create new AlterNet identities

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
If a banned user creates a new ID and starts posting again, they're pretty easy to identify once they come to our attention. If they behave, it might be some time before they come to our attention. In rare cases, they appear sufficiently reformed that we let it slide.

I don't know that they're the most "interesting" people, but they cause a disproportionate amount of the moderator's time via reported posts. If they get too disruptive of this forum's focus (discussing homebuilt airplanes in accordance with the laws of physics as well as the laws of civil behavior), they're gone.

We do have a "low level spanking", it's called a temporary ban. Few people, other than spammers or really bad (or criminal) behavior, get a permanent ban without one or more temporary bans that they didn't learn from.

Pops

Supporting Member
If a banned user creates a new ID and starts posting again, they're pretty easy to identify once they come to our attention. If they behave, it might be some time before they come to our attention. In rare cases, they appear sufficiently reformed that we let it slide.

I don't know that they're the most "interesting" people, but they cause a disproportionate amount of the moderator's time via reported posts. If they get too disruptive of this forum's focus (discussing homebuilt airplanes in accordance with the laws of physics as well as the laws of civil behavior), they're gone.

We do have a "low level spanking", it's called a temporary ban. Few people, other than spammers or really bad (or criminal) behavior, get a permanent ban without one or more temporary bans that they didn't learn from.

Dana-- Please give people like me some slack. My mother used to tell me and my first cousin that was raised with me to stop acting like 2 wild Indians and act like you have some breeding whither you do or not. Some of us just don't know better.
You do a good job.
BTW-- Tell the Mrs. that my wife and I says "hello". Pray that all is well.

don january

Supporting Member
To all those hard working and under paid Moderators and any members who want to catch my drift of what would make this place better. Take a look at sanman thread "Rocket Lab's Neutron Rocket" I have to ask just what relativity does that have to do with a HBAirplane. Yes your right it's in hanger flying and has videos that I'm sure cost the owner of this site to download and that's why donations are appreciated. Above we see a Mod and a member #108#109 give a related post and a kind response. Now that conversation is well expected in hanger flying but some members may feel it was in an inappropriate section and we all see that in thread drift. Another one that comes to mind is the thread "forget George and let Fido do it"Speaking for myself only I pull off my T-mono build and join in here to first and foremost to relax and search for a better way to build my plane. I see about 40 members on at most any time and 400-500 quest so maybe Pilot-34 post #70 has a good idea or at the very least have a thread in any area posted by a person who has an actual aircraft being built or one finished and flow or sold that can be clarified in the FAA data base and of course GA doesn't count.

Vigilant1

Supporting Member
I'd say this: An obscure or flaky or not-at-all-related-to-HBA thread is a LOT less irksome if it has an accurate descriptive title. I can pretty much tell right away if I want to open and spend time on a thread about a neutron rocket. But threads titled like:"Have you seen this?" are IMO, inconsiderate/ rude.

bmcj

Supporting Member
It does seem like on most forums of the most interesting people in the ones that get banned. And of course it’s pretty easy to get around the ban, I mean after all this is the Internet.
I guess the best thing would be some sort of a low level spanking ,one punishment harsh enough to be a large pain in the butt but not bad enough to make it worthwhile to create new AlterNet identities
Or just create a new sub forum called “FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY” and restrict posting by ‘bannees’ to only that one sub forum thread. It can come with a disclaimer that this sub forum does not reflect the views and values of HBA, it’s members, or most of the (sane) public at large. 😂

Last edited:

AdrianS

Or just create a new sub forum called “FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY” and restrict posting by ‘banners’ to only that one sub forum thread. It can come with a disclaimer that this sub forum does not reflect the views and values of HBA, it’s members, or most of the (sane) public at large. 😂
Is that where I post about my nuclear-powered dirigible, and threaten to fight anyone who tells me it's impractical?

HBA is pretty good as is.

Pilot-34

It’s one of them school of business truisms that 20% of the customers cause 80% of the problems.
On the other hand I’ve heard that on the Internet 90% of the Statistics are made up the spot…….
Personally I feel it 80% of creativity comes from 5% of the population……
What’s the moral of all this? I don’t know I got lost 40% ago!

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Other aviation forums have at times tried adding a subforum for off topic stuff where political discussion is allowed. They've found, multiple times, that the bickering there gets out of control and the bad feelings spill over into the on topic areas.

Even if it's not politics, allowing threads about amphibious airliners made out of bamboo and organic hemp fabric powered by forty people pedaling with oxygen supplied by onboard algae tanks just dumbs down the whole forum so a serious new homebuilder who wants to talk about airfoils or wing rib construction just says, "what a bunch of whackos," and goes elsewhere.

AdrianS

I strongly agree about keeping politics out of HBA.
We're here from all over the world, and once people start arguing politics, as Dana said it tends to spread to other threads.
I am sure my political views differ from many on here, but I don't want to argue politics with folks who I respect on other matters.

Petrol vs Diesel, 2 stroke vs 4, direct drive vs PSRU, which end to put the propeller on, which end to put the elevator on, do you really need a tail - that is more than enough to argue about.

And I haven't even gotten to nosewheel vs tailwheel...

Doran Jaffas

Supporting Member
As a somewhat time member and I hope for the most part "liked" I have been reading this thread with interest and a little skepticism. I personally ( I know how that sounds ) feel any discussion anywhere on this forum ( because it does set a standard for all other aviation forums) should involve aircraft or aviation related material ie.. hangar builds, airport properties, etc in a conversation that is relatable to the enthusiast of moderate income say 30-75k and interesting to those with less, also included would be the general skills of most home builders .
There are many videos and discussions elsewhere where the monetarily wealthy with unlimited time on their hands ( good for them by the way ) can discuss their latest , expensive and highly technical ideas.
For the most part, this forum does an excellent job for the dreamers and those of us with some experience.