HBA would be a better place if...

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

I appreciate the focus of HBA. If I want to read about tracked vehicles, I bet there's a forum for it somewhere on the WWWeb; that's the place I'd go for that discussion... not HBA. I enjoy some of the thread drift in HBA, but I primarily come here to learn about aircraft building and closely-related "stuff". I'd like to keep the (relatively) tight focus.

Rhino

I appreciate the focus of HBA. If I want to read about tracked vehicles, I bet there's a forum for it somewhere on the WWWeb; that's the place I'd go for that discussion... not HBA. I enjoy some of the thread drift in HBA, but I primarily come here to learn about aircraft building and closely-related "stuff". I'd like to keep the (relatively) tight focus.
Agreed. It just sounded like he was saying non-active builders shouldn't be allowed to post on the site, or at least on some portion of it. That was one of the unclear parts. A lot of people come here for advice on selecting aircraft to build, choosing between metal, wood or composite, or to gauge the mere possibility that they might actually be able to build. Some come to simply stoke the fire, which leads to many people building, or motivates continuation of a build. Some people are just plain interested in the topic, and are curious. It sounded like he wanted to restrict or even banish those people, which I very much disagree with.

As for off topic, that's sometimes a grey area when deciding how far off topic things can get. Politics or social issues for instance, are restricted, but those do sometimes influence aviation, so good judgement has to be applied. Obviously most of it won't be accepted, and there will never be 100% agreement, but someone has to make the call, and I'm fine with that. But as far as something like tracked vehicles, I haven't seen anything like that. But I would almost certainly agree it doesn't belong here (it would be a tough sell to make that relevant to aviation). I'm personally sick of seeing multiple threads every day on just about anyone's proposal for a new electric aircraft, no matter how outlandish the proposal may be, or the notion that we should all be running out and buying into something that isn't even viable yet (yeah, pet peeve). But it is aviation, so I don't call for restrictions or banning those threads.

Now I do believe there could be a discussion about limiting to homebuilding topics as opposed to all aviation topics in general. I don't think I'd advocate for an outright ban in that regard though. I think it would be a huge Pandora's box just chock full of more grey areas we'd have to deal with (for you younger folks, "chock full" means really a lot). I think it would also turn a lot of people off, and eliminate some very interesting content.

I just wasn't sure what he was asking for. It's still not totally clear, but it does sound a lot less draconian than what it originally sounded like, so I'm happy with that.

The only things that truly frustrate me here are the inability to delete my own posts to get rid of duplicates or something I posted in the wrong place, and the inability to simply cancel a reply you've been drafting. But those are relatively minor things.

Last edited:

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
You cant delete your posts and there are good reasons for that, but you can go back and edit it to say something like "duplicate post removed", or you can (for example if it's in the wrong forum) report it and one of the moderators will move it or delete it or whatever is necessary.

Rhino

Erase / delete the text, select the little icon that looks like an antique disc, from the drop down, select “delete draft.”
Thanks!

You cant delete your posts and there are good reasons for that, but you can go back and edit it to say something like "duplicate post removed", or you can (for example if it's in the wrong forum) report it and one of the moderators will move it or delete it or whatever is necessary.
Yeah, that's what I do.

Try Midol . I simply don't click on anything that I don't think would interest me . If somehow I get interupted with a brain fart and click the wrong thread or post , I'd pretty dumb to keep reading .

Rhino

Try Midol . I simply don't click on anything that I don't think would interest me . If somehow I get interupted with a brain fart and click the wrong thread or post , I'd pretty dumb to keep reading .
Not sure what you're responding to. Are you saying we should allow content on tracked vehicles or other such non-aviation content, and just not read those posts?

wanttobuild

The moderators are unfair. The reason I will not financially support. I don't want to pay to to have moderators remove my posts because "they" don't like them. This should be a pretty good place to meet and learn, but the regulars on here shut down new ideas.

Go on ahead and feel free to remove my comment

Pilot-34

Most of me is in IL but my hearts in Alaska
Yeah I’ve banged my head on that wall a few times.
It’s Normal at a lot of sites

I think the moderators have been more than fair with me but it’s to be expected that they agree with people they agree with and they extend a little more latitude to people that have been here a long time.

I think I’ve been here long enough and have held the same views long enough that they understand when I’m called a troll because I don’t agree with somebody that I’m not being a troll I’m just standing by a long held belief.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
The moderators are unfair. The reason I will not financially support. I don't want to pay to to have moderators remove my posts because "they" don't like them. This should be a pretty good place to meet and learn, but the regulars on here shut down new ideas.

Go on ahead and feel free to remove my comment
I won't remove your comment, but I'm sorry you feel that way. If you think a post of yours was unfairly removed, feel free to PM one of us and ask why. We don't remove posts because we "don't like them": we remove posts that violate the rules of conduct here... almost always political content or personal attacks. In many cases we agree with the content of the post(s) removed, but we try to keep things from escalating into something ugly... and we've been here long enough to [usually] recognize the signs.

Nor do we "shut down new ideas", but the "regulars" here aren't shy about calling BS on some of the more, shall we say, fanciful ideas posted here. We try to keep the discussion reasonably serious and focused mainly on homebuilt airplanes and related technology that doesn't violate the laws of physics or aerodynamics.

Rhino

You got 'supreme decider' from me asking a simple question? Ooookay. The thread is about suggestions to make HBA better. All I wanted was to be clear on what you were suggesting. Having a bad day?

Pilot-34

Most of me is in IL but my hearts in Alaska
You got 'supreme decider' from me asking a simple question? Ooookay. The thread is about suggestions to make HBA better. All I wanted was to be clear on what you were suggesting. Having a bad day?
Lol nope not at all you just seemed to think you were somehow entitled to declare tracks as nonaviation.
Wondered where you got the Hudspa to do such a thing.