HBA would be a better place if...

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Hephaestus

In my best upper-crust Cape Cod President Kennedy accent, I say:

"I believe that this Forum should commit itself to achieving the goal, before this decade is out, of increasing moderator pay by 200%, and returning them safely to their keyboards!"
Cheapskate.

I vote for a 1000% increase in pay. :beer: But sadly I'm reasonably sure - that still works out to exactly the same total cost 😆

Maybe we should buy them lunch at oshkosh or something next year.

Pilot-34

Most of me is in IL but my hearts in Alaska
I would like to see a general discussion area.
It may be my worst idea ever

Or possibly a building but not airplanes area.
For instance I am interested in building a fully tracked ATV about the size of a four wheeler.
There are several people here who I suspect would have lots of useful advice to offer.
And I also suspect that pursuing that interest would offer up lots of information of usefulness to aircraft homebuilders.
But there’s really nowhere that it would fit in properly on this forum.
Am I wrong to you think that for a lot of participants here building is just as interesting to them as airplanes?

Of course the other side of that are the random comments to get thrown into answers that leave me wondering huh? Things I would like to explore but even I realize I have way too much thread drift.

TFF

I think if something like a general anything area is put in, there needs to be a color coded header and a way to turn it off of the new posts list. Maybe manual click only so it doesn’t gum up the airplane stuff. Not that it’s a bad idea, but it needs to be segregated somehow so there are not complaints that it’s not airplane or someone miss started the thread and needs to be moved.

cluttonfred

Is the Hangar Flying section already excluded in that way? If so, then I agree, but if not, why would this be different? And if implemented then I would prefer that excluded groups be a user setting (even if the default is "excluded") so folks can get it in the new posts list if they want.

I think if something like a general anything area is put in, there needs to be a color coded header and a way to turn it off of the new posts list. Maybe manual click only so it doesn’t gum up the airplane stuff. Not that it’s a bad idea, but it needs to be segregated somehow so there are not complaints that it’s not airplane or someone miss started the thread and needs to be moved.

cluttonfred

Well, my perspective is that we already have a non-aviation category in "Hangar Flying", though of course still subject to normal HBA rules. I understood Pilot-34's suggestion to be "Non-Aviation Homebuilt Projects" so a literal or figurative subset of "Hangar Flying".

don january

Log Member
Maybe limit any threads to build log members only rather a tracked vehicle or plane. That would weed out the dreamers and focus on the doers. Then stick the rest in off topic thread.

Rhino

Maybe limit any threads to build log members only rather a tracked vehicle or plane. That would weed out the dreamers and focus on the doers. Then stick the rest in off topic thread.
Could you explain that in English please? I don't have a clue what you're trying to say. Build log is already restricted.

Rhino

So current builders, or prospective builders, wouldn't be able to post in the builder's log, wouldn't be able to post threads there or somewhere else, or wouldn't be able to make individual posts anywhere, except in the Off Topic forum?????? Your post is very unclear. And whatever these restrictions you envision are, only those who have completed a homebuilt would be free of those restrictions? It sounds like you want the "Homebuilt" in Homebuilt Airplanes to mean only those who've actually completed a plane would be welcome, and all others need not apply. If you wanted to destroy the forum, it's hard to imagine a more efficient way to do it. If that's not what you're proposing....... Well, that's why I asked you to explain what you meant.

don january

Log Member
As a wise HBA member once told me " If you don't like the thread don't read it" as for builders only post Idea, that is for the few that are actually building a aircraft and in my opinion they can relate more in detail on the events that take place in building an aircraft. Some threads on HBA are directed at theory and questions on aircraft but many are for someones design thoughts and getting the right hardware for their computer to draw up the idea such as Airfoil numbers which a home built has to start somewhere in that respect. Thread drift is normal on this site and I enjoy them. I think any member should be able to comment on a builders log and if I remember right the OP has that option. I guess I stepped in the thunder dome to fight to clean out all non related home built aircraft subjects and put them in a better place. I love the ability to express my opinions here on HBA and show my build in pictures to all who wants to follow the build and also have the right to start a thread to ask for opinions from members that could save my life some day. By the way to Prospective builder, its either you are or are not building and as said Survey post 58s its Debate and Drama, "GOOD TIMES" Dome flying off topic 🔔