• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

HBA Member "Day Jobs"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
We have a tremendous variety of people here, and a tremendous variety of skill sets, specialties, and career fields. I know we have some top notch engineers, but I'm sure we have a lot more interesting careers, jobs, and specialties than just engineering.

I also know we have a few people here who can't (or shouldn't) talk a bout exactly what they do in any great detail.

Keeping a lid on any national security and illegal bank robbery careers where possible... maybe people here would find it interesting to hear about what the "day jobs" of some HBA participants are. If you are an engineer at Area (redacted) and you designed the (redacted) powerplant for the trans-atmospheric (redacted)... don't post it here, none of us want to be hooked up to a lie detector by the earphone guys over the holidays.

Obviously this is intended for the people who don't mind sharing, and it is purposely being posted in "Hangar Talk / Off Topic". Since I opened my big yapper and started the thread, I'll step up and bare one of my highly classified job functions first:

I work as a written communications consultant for a non-profit org that provides critical services to military veterans in Southern California. One day the job is writing grant funding proposals, the next day it's writing press releases, the next day it's writing direct mail donor appeal letters. Always something different. As an example of just how wildly varied this job gets... last week I was a poet (really!)

Dodgers Baseball legend (and Navy veteran) Vin Scully is a supporter of our program that rescues homeless veterans. One of our homeless veterans said she wrote poetry, and we figured that having a celebrity like Vin read one of her poems would make a great year-end fundraiser. So we set in motion all of the components of doing that. Then she came down with a serious health problem (MRSA) and won't be able to write any poetry for a while. At the same time, our agency had rescued a 94 year old widow of 2 US veterans a few days before she was homeless on the street, which resonated through the community. So I said to my boss "We need something clever to hang the year-end fundraising campaign on... and she's sick... so I'll write some kind of poem and make it about Rose's rescue. You can call Vin and see if he likes it enough to let us record his reading of it..."

So it all came together and here's the result (All the press releases and 90% of the website text came from the same smart aleck author too :) )

https://gcvf.org/vin-scully-uses-poetry-to-end-veteran-homelessness/
That's my 9-to-5... what do you guys do for a paycheck??? Enquiring airplane folks want to know!

Back