Quantcast

HBA First Annual Home Built Aircraft Meet

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

edwisch

Paul Poberezny tried to do a grass roots alternative to Oshkosh years ago. Even with all his clout, he couldn’t make a go of it. Big lesson to be learned there...

rbrochey

HBA Supporter
I kind of like the idea of three events... west, central US and east coast. Have them at different times so if someone wanted to attend them all or split them up they could? Just thinking out loud... as to Osh, I went a few years ago and will never go again. It was but a little to circus and selling for my tastes. One well known homebuilding vendor, I won't mention names, was more interested in selling than sharing information... and was actually a little rude about it. Turned me off totally. So small dedicated gathering would be so much more fun! IMHO

BJC

HBA Supporter
.... as to Osh, I went a few years ago and will never go again. It was but a little to circus and selling for my tastes. One well known homebuilding vendor, I won't mention names, was more interested in selling than sharing information... and was actually a little rude about it. Turned me off totally.
Don't let one, or multiple, vendors spoil Oshkosh. The old Rockford / Oshkosh style activities, except for the fly-bys and rides, are there to be enjoyed, even though they are surrounded by lots of vending and glitz.

There is plenty of information to be had from homebuilders and restorers. Roam the classic and homebuilt camping areas, the homebuilt display area, and attend selected workshops (where a well known moderator will get you started on O/A welding), and attend selected forums, several of which are presented by HBAers. Oh, and be sure to join us at Homebuilt Headquarters where you can talk to fellow HBAers and even be served coffee by an HBAer.

BJC

bmcj

HBA Supporter
I like the idea of several regional ones all at the same time.
Or just piggyback on existing popular fly in’s like Airventure, Sun’n’Fun, etc, so that most of the organizing is already done for you.

Making hotel arrangements for an HBA-only gathering is kind of pointless... sure, you can get group rates, but you have to commit to a minimum number of rooms (usually 10 per night), and the organizer is on the hook for any unsold rooms. Given our likely small turnout to regional gatherings, it’s better to allow each to make their own reservation; all the organizer should do is check typical room availability and and/or suggest nice places where they can book a room. Stay away from weekends during large events or popular travel days that might fill up hotels.

And now another location suggestion for a regional or National gathering... Las Vegas doesn’t have any museums that I know about, but it has enough attraction for most that we might draw more members.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Triple Tree looks like a great place. I had heard about the Joe Nall model events, but never knew it was the same place.

Having three events, Left, Right, and Center in the country, seems viable to me. Here on the left side of the country, we have places like Columbia, CA that has a grass runway and a beautiful tourist trap town across the street, and other places that are a lot less pretty but also a lot easier for ultralight, low-horsepower, and no-electronics airplanes ( like Madera, CA).

The sites of the Copperstate Fly-in, Casa Grande and/or Buckeye, AZ are also reasonably easy to get to, but you would have to take very hot weather into account for scheduling.

Bigshu

HBA Supporter
I like New Mexico since I am in western Colorado.
How about something midwestern? Lots of nice places to gather in Missouri or Kansas. Just think what a nice event could be held in the Wichita area, with several aviation related museums and famous midwest hospitality (and BBQ).

Bigshu

HBA Supporter
Slotted in the summer between Sun N Fun and Osh Kosh? Centrally located (Kansas does claim to be the "Home of Aviation.") so it's a day's flight/2-day drive from about anywhere .
There's a really nice museum/working hangar home to "Doc" a restored, flying B-29. Actually lots of aviation activities in the vicinity. Rans factory is out by Salina KS, Zenith factory is in Mexico MO. Tons of opportunities to have in a rotation that makes it possible for most USA based

rbrochey

HBA Supporter
Understood... but like some others in here I am letting my eaa membership expire this year. I'm supporting USUA now which I find more relevant to me. More down to earth... so to speak!

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Understood... but like some others in here I am letting my eaa membership expire this year. I'm supporting USUA now which I find more relevant to me. More down to earth... so to speak!
Sorry, but I’ve always had a long standing issue with the USUA. We started off in the early days teaching hang gliding, then added powered weight shifts and then three axis ultralights as they were developed. This was in Southern California, which was largely center of where hang gliding and ultralights started. We taught literally thousands of people to fly in these over the years (even police departments that were considering adding ultralights to their force), and the powered operations were done at a GA airport where we developed procedures to mix in safely with larger aircraft. Since we were at the forefront, FAA Western Region worked with us to learn and develop acceptable rules, procedures and policies. Overall, it was a very successful and harmonious relationship and a busy operation. We even did some of the early proofing of new HG and UL designs by several manufacturers. I’ll add that most of us were already FAA certified GA pilots, and the non-certified instructors had been trained by us in the regulations, procedures, and practices of safety and operations with aircraft.

Years later, we received a letter stating that USUA had just been formed and had gained the blessings of DC to be the ruling party for ultralights (presumably due to their close proximity to DC). It went further to say that no ultralight training would be allowed except by USUA sanctioned, trained, dues paying instructors. Needless to say, this letter was not well received. We, with the blessings of the regional FAA offices, ignored their letter and continued to do our own thing successfully and safely.

rbrochey

HBA Supporter
Sorry, but I’ve always had a long standing issue with the USUA. We started off in the early days teaching hang gliding, then added powered weight shifts and then three axis ultralights as they were developed. This was in Southern California, which was largely center of where hang gliding and ultralights started. We taught literally thousands of people to fly in these over the years (even police departments that were considering adding ultralights to their force), and the powered operations were done at a GA airport where we developed procedures to mix in safely with larger aircraft. Since we were at the forefront, FAA Western Region worked with us to learn and develop acceptable rules, procedures and policies. Overall, it was a very successful and harmonious relationship and a busy operation. We even did some of the early proofing of new HG and UL designs by several manufacturers. I’ll add that most of us were already FAA certified GA pilots, and the non-certified instructors had been trained by us in the regulations, procedures, and practices of safety and operations with aircraft.

Years later, we received a letter stating that USUA had just been formed and had gained the blessings of DC to be the ruling party for ultralights (presumably due to their close proximity to DC). It went further to say that no ultralight training would be allowed except by USUA sanctioned, trained, dues paying instructors. Needless to say, this letter wa s not well received. We, with the blessings of the regional FAA offices, ignored their letter and continued to do our own thing successfully and safely.
I think I remember being aware of this in the 1980's when I wast taking private pilot lessons at Gillespie Field in El Cajon. We would fly up the coast and you could see a lot of hang glider activity, I think ( don't trust my memory too much!) it was Torrey Pines or the La Jolla area. Active too in the desert but my friends were out there in the 70's. I agree with you... that was a crappy deal.

Doran Jaffas

I do thi
I am willing to get one organized here in Michigan if that works for some. Hotels with 5 minutes of the airport. Transportation can be arranged.
Uncontrolled
Look up KY70 for airport lay out.
I do think multiple sites are the answer. Several sites one year then several others the next etc.