Quantcast

HBA First Annual Home Built Aircraft Meet

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

rbrochey

HBA Supporter
Easy peasy... have lots of time to plan but here's one I could do... 35 miles north of me (and tons of free or nearly free camping, some with facilities in every direction) is Crownpoint NM... I drove out once to check out the strip and it is very cool... like nothing there in the middle of high desert country... it's on the Navajo Nation. How grassroots is that? What I could do is talk to my friends in Crownpoint and even talk to the Navajo Nation president (he has played basketball with my daughter) to get his blessings. There may be some conditions, but nothing that couldn't be overcome. And who knows, may Grandma's restaurant will be open again by then... then there are the burrito vendors who would show up.... just say'n!!!
Here it is:

BJC

HBA Supporter
Bartlesville Ok is my suggestion. This was home to the Biplane flying for many years, and that was a great grass-roots flyin.
+1

Been there several times, but not for the biplane flt-in that they had years ago.

Good place.

BJC

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Pick a location that requires ADSB or txp and I’m out. This is sposed to be grassroots, right?
I thought this was supposed to be homebuilt airplanes, which means it could be a known-icing Lancair 4P all the way to a lawnmower powered Affordaplane.

The grassroots part of it (to my understanding) was that it wasn't supposed to be corporate, no horrible $12 hot dogs and $50 entry fee and $20 camping fee and $15 parking fee.

That said, I would definitely support the idea that you pick location that allows the Affordaplane and the powered hang glider to fly in with no electrics. No sense in putting up a barrier to keep anyone out.

But Rockiedog I think most of your airplanes can already go into Oshkosh can't they? I think I even saw a video clip of Putt Putt flying there at the ultralight strip.

Rockiedog2

HBA Supporter
I thought this was supposed to be homebuilt airplanes, which means it could be a known-icing Lancair 4P all the way to a lawnmower powered Affordaplane.

The grassroots part of it (to my understanding) was that it wasn't supposed to be corporate, no horrible $12 hot dogs and $50 entry fee and $20 camping fee and $15 parking fee.

That said, I would definitely support the idea that you pick location that allows the Affordaplane and the powered hang glider to fly in with no electrics. No sense in putting up a barrier to keep anyone out.

But Rockiedog I think most of your airplanes can already go into Oshkosh can't they? I think I even saw a video clip of Putt Putt flying there at the ultralight strip.
701 has a comm that may actually work. TXP hasn't been on since that Hudson River trip. It may work, dunno, but if I go somewhere I'll take it out cause the cert is outadate. This SS has a tray for the comm so I could switch it between planes, if it works. I got no use for ADSB and won't ever have it. I go around all the Class Bs. I'm fine with that. At this stage, flying is a casual thing.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Flabob always welcomes events like this, but it might be too far for our eastern members. Chino (museum), March AFB museum, Aircraft Spruce and even Mojave are all within easy reach of Flabob.

Deuelly

Log Member
South western Minnesota is probably a little to far north for most, but we have a nice airport (KMML). I could also arrange tours of two of the top WWII restoration shops in the US.

Brandon

Deuelly

Log Member
There is no reason not to have more than one, varied by region and date to attract different people. Minnesota should probably not be a winter date. ;-p
We have 10,000 more airports in Minnesota in the winter than we do in the summer. Much safer flying. :D

bmcj

HBA Supporter
I was trying to think of an easy way to list members by states. If the software won’t allow a display or compilation, perhaps someone (one person only - perhaps one of the mods) can create separate sticky posts in the members only section with each post subject being the name of a state. Members can then go into the thread named as their state and post their name as a reply.

it’s not the cleanest way to do this, but it might still work.

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
I was trying to think of an easy way to list members
It would probably have to be set up by Admin in the 'For HBA eyes only' section but a Google map can be a shared map. Individual members could input their own data, if they so desire.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
Don't need any radio to enter the Oshkosh ultralight/LightSport runway. They use the red and green flags.
But it's only 1200 feet with 300 displaced.
There is a 6000 feet alternate runway if you have a radio.

daveklingler

I liked Robert's idea about hosting something in western New Mexico, and that made me think about Albuquerque. Albuquerque has the fall International Balloon Fiesta, which, if you haven't seen it, needs to be seen and experienced at least a few times. With permission, we could probably re-task the 86-acre balloon grounds as a grass strip and campground/airplane parking lot. So there's an idea for a fly-in.

Another possibility, though, would be Roswell, which has a great big empty Air Force Base, and big mostly-empty runways to go with it. Roswell International Air Center currently plays host to an airliner service center. It's sunny and about 60 degrees in winter. Not that much grass, but plenty of asphalt to make up for it. And aliens.

Doran Jaffas

Not to keep kicking a dead subject buuuuuut.........

A long time ago,I made a recommendation to the Powers That Be on this Forum to categorize all of the members by state & by project/aircraft.
If that had been done....then finding members local to each other would be very easy at this time.
It would be nice to look on the forum and be able to tell who is close by or where in the world a forum member is working on the same project as yourself.
As it stands....the vast majority of the forum members are geographically lost to me because they haven't posted the info on their account.

It's very easy to start small gatherings that eventually grow into large gatherings when you can locate & communicate with each other.
Just saying.......

Kevin
Doran Jaffas
N625MS..W8
0-200A
Y70.. Ionia, Michigan ( central lower )

Attachments

Doran Jaffas

I am willing to get one organized here in Michigan if that works for some. Hotels with 5 minutes of the airport. Transportation can be arranged.
Uncontrolled
Look up KY70 for airport lay out.