Quantcast

HBA First Annual Home Built Aircraft Meet

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Jhawkflyer

EVERY big "special interest" festival STARTED really small at some point. Sturgis Bike Week. Burning Man. Osh Kosh. Chicago Blues Fest. Etc

Just takes a few people to say, "Let's meet here"... Doesn't need an agenda. Just people and airplanes. You get 20 folks together for a weekend at an airfield that has camping and decent weather available. Following year it's 30. Then 50. Before your know it, some idiot is riding by on a scooter with nothing but a raccoon cap and Spider-Man underoos (crazy STOL pilots, can't take then anywhere...)

Slotted in the summer between Sun N Fun and Osh Kosh? Centrally located (Kansas does claim to be the "Home of Aviation.") so it's a day's flight/2-day drive from about anywhere .

We gotta get COVID behind us, but this could happen and is a great idea.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Wet blanket here: For me, personally, the idea of a set-time virtual/online gathering isn't very attractive. Since the current Covid unpleasantness began our widely scattered family has done some Zoom sessions and it just brought me flashbacks of video teleconferences at work: talking over each other, dropped audio, grainy images, and just a less-than-satisfactory experience. Great relief when it ends. I think the half-duplex audio and the latency are enough to spoil the experience, it is not like being together with friends, and not an efficient way to share info.
Lots of folks obviously feel very differently about it.

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Lifetime Supporter
EVERY big "special interest" festival STARTED really small at some point. Sturgis Bike Week. Burning Man. Osh Kosh. Chicago Blues Fest. Etc

Just takes a few people to say, "Let's meet here"... Doesn't need an agenda. Just people and airplanes. You get 20 folks together for a weekend at an airfield that has camping and decent weather available. Following year it's 30. Then 50. Before your know it, some idiot is riding by on a scooter with nothing but a raccoon cap and Spider-Man underoos (crazy STOL pilots, can't take then anywhere...)

Slotted in the summer between Sun N Fun and Osh Kosh? Centrally located (Kansas does claim to be the "Home of Aviation.") so it's a day's flight/2-day drive from about anywhere .

We gotta get COVID behind us, but this could happen and is a great idea.
Works best if there is a supplier like Aircraft Spruce or someone with a vested interest in having all their customer's gather.

karmarepair

HBA Supporter
Wet blanket here: For me, personally, the idea of a set-time virtual/online gathering isn't very attractive. Since the current Covid unpleasantness began our widely scattered family has done some Zoom sessions and it just brought me flashbacks of video teleconferences at work: talking over each other, dropped audio, grainy images, and just a less-than-satisfactory experience. Great relief when it ends. I think the half-duplex audio and the latency are enough to spoil the experience, it is not like being together with friends, and not an efficient way to share info.
My quilt guild has been running virtual Zoom board meetings and General Meetings since March, and what we've learned:
1. You need SEVERAL people running the meeting and doing the tech. You ABSOLUTELY want a Waiting Room, and preferably only let in people who have signed up in advance, ideally by using some form of registration PRIOR to the meeting, and participants only get the link if they register.
2. Meetings of more than 5 get hard, and CANNOT be run as an "All Play".
3. One to Many is pretty easy - the host just mutes everybody but the speaker.
4. Questions and interactions can get handled with Chat and a Moderator for One To Many, and possibly for a more open meeting format.
5. Many to Many meetings need a moderator to recognize people and unmute them, and you lose a LOT of spontaneity and interaction. It's NOT going to be as good as a real meeting; the point is it's Better Than Nothing.

Rockiedog2

HBA Supporter
Yeah me too.
I HATE facetime. Won't answer it.
You guys go ahead with the virtual thing; yall don't need me.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
It's NOT going to be as good as a real meeting; the point is it's Better Than Nothing.
Some people will choose the "nothing" option, that would probably be me. That's no reason not to do it, some folks might have a great time. And if there's a presentation that is given and available for viewing later, many folks could choose to do that, at a time convenient for them.

Rockiedog2

HBA Supporter
Somebody said Kansas. When I was riding bikes all over the place I did square corners to keep from going diagonal across Kansas. The cow mess smell gets in your riding clothes. Awful place.
North Arkansas isn't far SE of Kansas and a whole lot nicer. Lotsa small airports. Look at Gaston's Resort. No cow mess around there. It's private so don't know how that would be received. But some good munis around there and don't need a radio.

rbrochey

HBA Supporter
Some inspiration...

"Let us hope that the advent of a successful flying machine, now only dimly foreseen...will bring nothing but good into the world; that it shall abridge distance, make all parts of the globe accessible, bring men into closer relation with each other, advance civilization, and hasten the promised era in which there shall be nothing but peace and goodwill among all men".

Octave Chanute, 1894

Rockiedog2

HBA Supporter
I was at the first SunnFun in I believe it was 74. Think BJC was there too. Wasn't much to it...just right. Buncha guys in the yard fooling with planes. I was in a Bakeng Duce. There was some dude there in a Fly Baby. We swapped planes and flew around for a while. Great fun.

Reactions: BJC

blane.c

HBA Supporter
Well maybe a worldwide meeting could happen in Hawaii, I like Hawaii or Barbados one of the Concordes is in Barbados went on the tour, It is all steam gages.

Daleandee

Maybe western Kentucky or western Tennessee are good compromises. I know that I would rather go there than Oshkosh.
For many years there was a wonderful American Sonex Association gathering at KCSV in Crossville Tennessee (the home of Trade-A-Plane). Not necessarily recommending this particular airport but the location brought many from up & down the east coast, down to Texas, and over from Kansas for the three day event. It was usually in October when the weather is most likely to give excellent flying conditions.

But I share BJC's concern about putting faces to everybody ... but then again it could be a "Mask-querade" 😷

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
I would encourage any of our members anywhere in the world to organize some sort of local HBA gathering. It could be as simple as identifying a local flying club or cafe or pub or what have you easily accessed from an airport, picking a convenient date and time, and setting up a TV and camera and microphone. Fly in, drive in, or dial in, whatever works, and you get both locals and callers from around the world. Maybe we could set up a shared calendar and try for one per month? Personally, my work and family take me to lots of different places, you never know when and where I might show up! ;-)