Quantcast

HBA First Annual Home Built Aircraft Meet

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

rbrochey

HBA Supporter
Hmmmm good point. Just as a point of reference, and I would be open to whatever is decided... where I live is 3 miles from Bluewater Lake... lots of camping... and you could throw a rock to the Zuni Mountains. Cibola National Forest. Lots and lots of camping. The El Rancho Hotel where Sky King stayed in Gallup... tons of free free or nearly free camping all over the area. I'm certainly open to travel though... my limit might be Scotland. HBA/USA how about that?

Doran Jaffas

Coming out of the deep and dark December I keep thinking how great it would be for for the HBA folks to get together... Fly in, walk in, drag your project behind an old Chevy pickup, whatever. A FUN event with cookouts, camping, coffee and doughnuts... but most importantly the love of personal
aviation... we can do this, count me in. If you would like it here in western New Mexico, I certainly could help put it together. But it can be where
it will work for everyone. That's it, have a great day!
I thought often about how nice it would be to get back to the grassroots of the home build movement. Have several of them. Not only out in your area but in the Midwest where I'm located as well as the extreme West and east. Anybody wants to get these started let me know. I have experience coordinating large events and I'm more than happy to put in the time.

Attachments

berridos

I would come from europe if there was an intensive workshop on composites. Ideally with a hands on case study in excell or matlab.

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Lifetime Supporter
Years ago our Porsche 928 groups decided to have a national gathering. It ended up being in Wichita for a lot of reasons. Pretty much the geometric center of the country. It was done every four years for a bunch of reasons. So I started calling it the 928 Olympics.

You folks are proposing the same sort of thing. Back then we all met each other on a list server. And then there were some regional gatherings and then national ones as well as the parts supplier sponsored gatherings. It was a really amazing experience in this internet world to build relationships in a hobby virtually and then finally have them come out into real life. I have friends all over the world still from that time.

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Lifetime Supporter
My wife & I have hosted frequent alt engine gatherings here at Slobovia Outernational (MS71) in the BC era, and intend to resume when AC is finally here. Happy to expand the scope a bit as long as it's manageable for us in terms of food supplies, etc. Space isn't really an issue; we're on a 4800' strip & have 50' x 80' of hangar space.

Y'all please be careful if you do something near-term. We're all human (well, most of us, anyway), and we all manage to do stuff without thinking that we later regret, like family reunions gathering from around the country and thinking it will be ok 'because we're all family'. Followed by 15 people being infected and a couple of them dying.

Charlie
Is Canada taking US origin GA flights? The border here is pretty much closed.

narfi

Log Member
What about the fact HBA is international in nature?
Do it virtually
And who are you proposing to give the workshops? What topics?

A few months ago my wife and I joined a sailing club based some 1500 miles away and have been attending their monthly meetings remotely via zoom.
They have the typical club meeting topics, then a presentation by a member or guest speaker, then a social time after. It is made up of very similar type of people to who we have here on HBA, and is a good time that we have booth enjoyed. There are people from all over and this weeks guest speaker was a designer from France discussing his latest commercial project (Corsair 880) as well as his personal and hobby projects.

I don't see why HBA couldn't successfully hold monthly 'get together/meetings' in much the same way.
I would suggest not the first week of the month as that seems to be a commonly busy week with most clubs etc... meetings taking place personaly in that week.

I feel presentations or 'workshops' could easily be figured out once a month. It could be as simple as a slideshow of someone's build project, as specific as a-z of the stits process, intro to welding, etc.... and that is just what we could get from our own members, ideally we could reach out to vendors and suppliers(engine conversions, kit suppliers, plan suppliers, etc....) to take up a bulk of the presentations and fill in the missing months from our own members.

Finding a good time that caters to the most members may be difficult but not impossible understanding you cant cover the entire globe in one slot. The presentation part could be recorded and posted for a growing knowledge base as well as for those who were unable to attend.

blane.c

HBA Supporter
Many places in Alaska would be a hoot not likely to pull much attendance, to bad.

Draw an X from Washington state to Florida and Maine to California and somewhere near the middle?

Oklahoma city may be close?