Hazard's of building

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

pictsidhe

I ran an alluminum oxide cut off wheel in my high speed grinder today, and learned a new threat safety glasses and clothes don't cover... spark landing in your ear lobe....
Ear lobe? Try one in your ear canal. The whole neighbourhood will get a 'French' lesson.

pictsidhe

Yeah, I didn't want to go there. You can do worse. Try catching a live bug in your ear canal at 60mph while driving a motorcycle with a brain bucket half helmet.
Bee, about 50mph. I was amazed at how fast I managed to stop and get my helmet off. Wasn't stung, just very loudly buzzed. One of my brothers head butted the guts out a pheasant at 80mph. The wonders of full face helmets...
It might have been a welding spark in my ear. I like to use ear plugs when when sparking overhead now.

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
I ran an alluminum oxide cut off wheel in my high speed grinder today, and learned a new threat safety glasses and clothes don't cover... .
Reminds me of the tool that scared me the most. Take one of these:
blade.jpg

Attach to a standard angle grinder, with no guard. Then climb into a fire truck storage compartment to cut a hole in the 1/4 inch aluminum that the CNC guy forgot to program for my control panel.

The CNC guy refused to fix his mistake that was "discovered" after the panel was already welded into the body and the body mounted to the chassis.
:speechles :mad2: :shock: :uzi: :cross: :angry:

That little tool got hid when the OSHA inspectors came by.

Pops

Log Member
Pops, our families must be related. If the limb is still attached and duct tape stops the bloodflow, GET BACK TO WORK!

Ya'll heard of bailing wire? Well, that was exactly what it was used for...the cutter that cut the end would leave it as sharp as a razor, and I have the scars to prove it. Cutting hay is one thing I don't do anymore...the local guys cut and bail it for me, lots easier on the body.

We ended up with the only Retractable gear Dart ever built ('38 model, prototype before the LCA and LFA models) and I was working on a gear retract mechanism, chain driven and managed to catch my fingertip in the chain/sprocket junction, peeling off the fingertip. My father calmly handed me a jar of isopropyl alcohol, I poured it over the finger, grabbed a bandaid, flipped the remains of the fingertip back up and taped it in place. Can't ever commit a crime, no problem to trace that fingertip! Worst part was having to keep working...the throbbing distracted me. The School nurse took one look at it the next morning and just about screamed. If OSHA had existed then......!

Learned alot, tho, especially about keeping fingers out of danger areas. Did manage to shove a screwdriver thru my left hand one afternoon while tinkering on a friend's Taylorcraft. Bit of alcohol, pulled the screwdriver out and iced it down. One trick is to keep all tools as sharp as possible, it actually hurts less....sort of like getting cut when a piece of AL gets away from you while cutting it. Aluminum will cut faster and deeper than a razor....

Derswede
One time when putting up hay my father was handing a pitchfork down from the barn loft with the pointy end down, ( a big no, no). He thought the neighbor boy of 12 years old had hold of the prongs but didn't and let go of the pitchfork, a prong went thru the boys leg below the hip and out the back side. His father told him to not move and ran to the house and got a bottle of turpentine and pulled the prong out and turned the bottle of turpentine over the hole and held it for several minuts. Did a lot of hollowing, but the next day he was walking like it never happen.

stuart fields

All of my projects seem to need a little blood. The job is not finished until there is some blood. I'm also to the point of going ahead and sticking myself somewhere before I go to work. That way I can control where the blood is going to come from. Also, I've found that Masking tape works better than band aids.
Also to Pops: What was your Grandfather's name? We may be related....

TFF

My friends dad used lacquer thinner.
I had a high school math teacher who cut his thumb and first two fingers off with a saw. He picked them up and went in the house for help. Wife and daughters fainted, so he had to drive himself to the emergency room. Another friend ran the blade half deep through his palm. I have another friend who is a ER doc. He has plenty of stories but he is just like we are breaking tool rules even though he knows better. Saw him drill his hand a bit. At least he is not prissy not trying to get his hands dirty like so many.

autoreply

Was doing structural tests on a spring that consisted of a composite structure plus hyper-duplex steel plates between it. Compression testing, measuring deflection and load.

We had secured ourselves behind a steel tube, with about 3" wall thickness. Behind the test setup was a fence of 1" solid steel rods. Behind that a road, about 100' away, about 200' away a farm.

At about 1200 tonnes the spring exploded. The fences' rods were not even bent, just cut in a few spots. The farthest metal pieces were about 500' down range, directly behind the farm. Theoretical speed of the duplex steel was about 500 mph. The frame-by-frame video of that event still gives me chicken skin.

Test engineering is a serious profession...

Pops

Log Member
All of my projects seem to need a little blood. The job is not finished until there is some blood. I'm also to the point of going ahead and sticking myself somewhere before I go to work. That way I can control where the blood is going to come from. Also, I've found that Masking tape works better than band aids.
Also to Pops: What was your Grandfather's name? We may be related....

Grandfather (1876-1959) Chickasaw tribe. A tribe in the Cherokee nation.

Twodeaddogs

HBA Supporter
I saw a guy pick up a grinder wheel and fit it with no paper washer. Something told me that it was not a good idea so I stepped two paces to my right. I was about 20 feet away as he turned the grinder motor on and the disc exploded like a grenade. The guy was completely untouched but couldn't hear with his left ear for about two days. A great deal of the shrapnel passed where I had been and blew out thru the roof of the building......another time, i was helping fit plastic sheets to the inside of an aircraft being converted to cargo use. I was holding the sheet up while a colleague drilled it for screws. He told me to hold the sheet up flush with the inner structure and began drilling and promptly howled as he drilled thru his finger with the air drill. I didn't help by laughing aloud, either.

don january

Log Member
for you guy's that like to fly RC models like I do. Dad and I where over at a friends house and he was building a Spezio Dal-1 spezio.jpg full size and we took a break to fly some model's. Well his wife wanted to film the airshow and Dads friend came in too close and smacked that poor women right in the face.:cry: it broke her nose and she had to eat out of a straw for a couple of week's. The plane had about a 5 1/2 ft. wing. needless to say "party was over" and spent the rest of the day at the Long Prairie M.N. hospital. Also Dad was hand propping a Super Tiger RC engine and reached around to set mixture and stuck his finger into the running prop. Spent that after noon at the Aberdeen S.D. Hospital. I use a 12 volt power starter since seeing that happen!! In S.D. we got good at flying off of frozen lakes with two finger's cut out of are gloves. learned a few trikes to start them RC in cold weather.

timberwolf8199

Reminds me of the tool that scared me the most. Take one of these:
View attachment 63865

Attach to a standard angle grinder, with no guard.....That little tool got hid when the OSHA inspectors came by.

We had two of those and they were glorious! We mounted them above an injection molding machine to trim the product. They left a clean cut, and had a higher throughput than anything else. When it was running full capacity they were quite something to watch; twin rooster tails of plastic landing just outside the machine guarding. We lovingly referred to them as the blades of death....and not surprisingly, we had to remove them and opt for a less effective option to keep our safety inspector happy.

don january

Log Member
After a couple of year's on HBA forum I have learned another Hazard of building. Some builder's Start with a plane that has there heart on fire and for one reason or another change there goal's to a different type of bird. To me this has become a Hazard to the aircraft itself. Think how many plane's have been started just to be hung in the rafter's because the builder either got frustrated or bored! Many builder's float off to different area's of there flying need's, Rather it's building a trailer or rudder or just planting grass I've seen builder's going from wood to, tube and fabric, or All metal. To me folk's that's a Hazard of a build. It's not a cut finger or a smack in the Ball's it's a dream that is abandoned. Can you see the Hazard??