• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Hazardous Material

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonex293

I’m looking at painting an all aluminum airplane project myself. Why? Just because I can!

I don’t mind working with the hazardous materials and will take appropriate actions to limit personal exposure, but what I can’t find is how to control material runoff.

The plane is a 6061-T6 aluminum and I plan to acid etch, rinse, alodine, rinse, and then paint. Since I’ve never done this, I wonder how much runoff there is and should I be concerned? This will be done on property that is still using a well for home water. Any one have photos on how you handled this problem?

Any and all advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael
:confused:

p.s. I’ve noticed PreKote chemical in Aircraft Spruce’s catalog, but since it’s new I’m not sure how good it is. Its milspec, but I’m not sure that really means much!

Back