Have we reached the end of the Steam Gauge era?

Discussion in 'Instruments / Avionics / Electrical System' started by jwmflying14, Jan 20, 2017.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. May 26, 2019 #81

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

So there must be some EE or Programmer talent on this board...

Take the concept of the Dynon D180 to the people - divorce the screen and package all the inputs and processing in one small, remote mounted box. Provide generic VGA or CAN or Ethernet outputs to a generic display. Want a display in front and back or side to side? No problem, just plug another one in. Sure, you give up functionality of a discrete EFIS display, but for the more "simple" airplanes this would never be missed.

I think the person who brings this box to market (along with a selection of screen sizes) will crush the E-AB market at the right price point.

2. May 26, 2019 #82

BJC

BJC

BJC

I saw a g meter once, made somewhere in Europe, that outputs an audible signal that indicated both g, with the tone of beeps, and how quickly the g is changing, with the frequency of beeps. I can envision an entirely audible “instrument panel” for aerobatics.

BJC

3. May 26, 2019 #83

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Add in software to anticipate a parameter going out of bounds in X-minutes to activate the yellow light and you have the best compromise between keeping the pilot informed and not taking his attention from other tasks. I don't mind glass as a technology, I think it's superior to steam, but the modern screens are just a pain to look at. If they were standardized in some way...........

4. May 29, 2019 #84

rdj

rdj

rdj

Vacuum stuff, sure. But altimeters, airspeed indicators and engine instruments are likely to be around for some time. I'm putting little (2-1/4") round gauges on my VFR panel next to the Dynon glass. Minimal weight, simple hookup, and reliable. Whenever the Dynon goes blue-screen, or I have the glass portion of the panel out for repair or replacement with whatever new whiz-bang technology is out in 5 years, I can still putter around knowing basic airspeed, altitude, oil pressure and temperature by glancing occasionally at the little pointy needles.

5. May 29, 2019 #85

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Steam will be back as soon as the next electron shortage hits.

Hephaestus and akwrencher like this.
  6. May 29, 2019 #86

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

Armchair Mafia Conspirator HBA Supporter

That would be a positive situation.

Hephaestus and BJC like this.
  7. May 29, 2019 #87

akwrencher

akwrencher

akwrencher

Lol TF, but we use steam to push electrons!

Turd Ferguson and BJC like this.
  8. May 29, 2019 #88

Hephaestus

Hephaestus

Hephaestus

I think the Google glass style AR systems will replace everything in the near future. HUDs for everyone!

FAA will still require some oldschool I'm sure but when we can put the information in front of you well enough that it's in front of you wherever you look there's a major safety issue gone.

But terrifying to think of the results of failure... But wifi/BTle etc are bringing it so close to reality - with adsb just think how nice it will be when traffic is highlighted in your field of vision automatically.

BBerson likes this.
  9. Jun 4, 2019 #89

I am a middle earthling, Steam flight instruments, MGL EFIS with an alarm pilot light should the MGL find something approaching the limits I will catch the pilot light in my periphery and investigate/correct/Mitigate.

https://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/threads/clever-cygnet-panel.31673/

10. Jun 4, 2019 #90

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Maybe someday in the future when ADS-B Out or its successor is required on every airplane, UAV, drone, and bird. Until then, I hope folks will keep their field of vision clear of junk and distractions so they can see other traffic. And if folks are planning to fly with Epson goggles lashed to their heads, I'd hope the FAA would/should require a safety pilot just as they do when folks fly with a hood/foggles. In any airspace where some traffic is not under positive control (i.e. most airspace below FL180) everybody is supposed to be looking out for everybody.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  11. Jun 4, 2019 #91

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

And this is why I'm looking forward to something like this kind of technology. I'm a minimalist kind of guy and I think these would/could give me more time to be looking around. One of the advantages of electronics is that they can do the job of monitoring the mundane stuff and only alert me when my attention is really needed. The less time I spend scanning gauges, just to make sure nothing has changed, the more time I have to look for the other plane that doesn't have ADS-b.

If this technology gets used as just another crutch to enable the lazy and inept - then I agree we can do without.

12. Jun 4, 2019 #92

BJC

BJC

BJC

The hardware on the panel doesn’t keep the pilot from looking outside. Looking outside is totally controlled by the functioning of the onboard organic computer.

BJC

gtae07 likes this.
  13. Jun 4, 2019 #93

Hephaestus

Hephaestus

Hephaestus

Id say glasses mounted would do better, as they're not fixed location the likely hood of missing traffic is lower, especially if you're adding a little computer power to spot traffic... Computers are pretty good at pulling spots out of the ether and identifying movement compared to human eyes that can get fatigued no?

14. Jun 4, 2019 #94

gtae07

gtae07

gtae07

I know it goes against conventional wisdom, but when I’m flying cross-country I spend a whole lot less time heads-down with modern glass than I did with paper and an E6-B. I’m not wasting my time trying to interpret small symbols on a map, computing ground speed, or trying to figure out wind correction angle. My situational awareness is vastly improved, especially with respect to weather and traffic (the human eye has always sucked at scanning for traffic like that and unless you’re someone like Chuck Yeager, chances are you miss a lot more than you think you do).

Couple that with an autopilot and I spend a lot less time on mundane keeping straight and level, and a lot more time looking out the canopy.

On local flights it doesn’t make much of a difference. The traffic awareness is still better but I mostly navigate by landmarks and roads and use the moving map to avoid the Class B.

15. Jun 4, 2019 #95

BJC

BJC

BJC

Same here. If a pilot thinks that all near traffic (other than, perhaps, the local traffic pattern traffic) is detected by eye, that pilot should use flight following (or ADS-B with a copilot) a few times and note the difference.

BJC

akwrencher likes this.
  16. Jun 4, 2019 #96

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

The traffic could be automatically custom called out on the headphones. "Traffic a Cessna at 3:00, raise right wing to see it". Or "traffic at 6:00 recommend right turn now to avoid"

17. Jun 4, 2019 #97

Hephaestus

Hephaestus

Hephaestus

The oleds they use in the glasses do allow transparency, it's not all or nothing, simply highlighting in the display as detected/ spotted is an option. Whether it's visual or audio - we all respond differently, yeah a really busy screen would be problematic - no arguing that.

I'm always surprised how much adsb traffic we have, this isn't even the USA where it's mandated...