Have to wonder

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

don january

Log Member
I wonder how many of the member project actually got done? I see HBA has 11 pages of build logs and at 20 per page that's a grip of aircraft as of today's date. Many post have less then 10 reply's and even less pictures. Do you all think this will change??

radfordc

No...I doubt it. I think that as a general rule most airplane construction projects don't get completed.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
It's difficult to do all the things we want in this world given the ever changing complexities of life. Coronavirus shut downs have literally given me the free time I wanted for over a decade. To be honest, I don't plan on going back to the old me. I like a little extra free time.

don january

Log Member
So I "Have to wonder"that the ones that do get in the air is by many years of helping hands if their lucky. So now I get it, if a person is attracted at a younger age and starts a build and never gives up until its done then it's not a plane of many colors. Do you hear that you gals and guys that are in their 10's 20's now would be the time to get started. 🕔 Oh come on now don't be Scared. I know ya want ta.😃

12notes

Lifetime Supporter
Log Member
In my case I just gave up on the post, not the plane itself. I think my last post I had the basic fuselage shape and had made the spars, at the moment the left outer wing, canopy, and firewall forward are the only main components left to build, and I've started on the canopy.

It's coming along, but I didn't get nearly as much done in my furlough as I hoped.

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Building an airplane, particularly designing and building an airplane, takes a little while, especially when you have a day job.

gtae07

Building an airplane, particularly designing and building an airplane, takes a little while, especially when you have a day job.
The schedule impact of a day job is nothing compared to the impact of having a small child. I love him dearly but I can't get much done when he's home.

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
The schedule impact of a day job is nothing compared to the impact of having a small child.
You got that right! Mine are now to the age where they don't take ALL of my non-working hours, thank goodness. I now get windows of opportunity to work on my own projects. (Life of a single parent!)

don january

Log Member
I wonder ? out of all the build logs listed on the Forum just how many did get completed and we just never found out ? Because like 12notes said the post of his were given up on. To me that say's he would rather put the time into the plane and that in my opinion is a honorable decision and is very tempting. I see page 11 covers 2009 so 10+ years of threads and man I don't like the odds I'm seeing with completions. I guess another reason many builds rather kit or scratch get moved on to the next set of hands.👐 If the bird is lucky

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
53 years (started in '67) and counting. No build log and nothing to show but lots to tell.. HBA is great. See "Why Planes Fly" (or Don't).

Eventually I determined that 20 or 30 years in process is nothing when you are enjoying the work. You guys hang in there and have fun along the way.

Last edited:

lr27

Ken W: I hate to tell you, but that doesn't look ANYTHING like a tail. No wonder it's taking so long! ;-)
--------------
The conclusion I draw from this thread is that the first project should be as simple as possible.

don january

Log Member
I have another time consuming event that may eat up your building time. As you can see by Kens build (N804RV) He can walk down each side of his fuselage like I can mine and every time I pass the root spars I say to myself "man I'm glad the wings are not mounted at this moment" because it would really increase the distance I'd have to walk to get from fire wall to tail. I wonder how this would help out in saving time ? o_Ofence xcrossing.jpg

12notes

Lifetime Supporter
Log Member
In the last 10 years there have been 194 build threads started on this site, but only 41 completion threads. These numbers are likely a little off, I did discount 3 of the 4 identically titled build threads by the same member I noticed, as well as the 4 posts in completions that were someone individually listing their past projects. I'm sure there's more like this I didn't notice.

A roughly 20% completion rate as a group is higher that average, but still pretty low.

It's much easier to post a completion thread when finished than a build thread, so this completion to build thread ratio is probably overstated.

I'll post a completion thread when finished and update the build thread with a few pictures.

MadProfessor8138

Log Member
Hopefully, projects get finished and just aren't published.
I never count anyone out until I hear them actually say that they are through....and then I only take it to heart about 30% of the time.
Life tends to change plans for people but where there's a will there's a way.
I have no intention of giving up on my RW19 Stork project but,yes,progress has slowed for a little while but will be picking back up shortly.
Most people in my situation would have never started the build.....but I want it so I'm building it !
Not to put my business out there for everyone but this should explain why my progress has slowed momentarily....
1. I'm a single parent to a 11 year old son who's school year got cut short and now I have to deal with having him 24/7.
2. I drive an hour each way to work and put in a 10 hour day,5 to 6 days a week.
So there is 60-72 hours a week gone.
People are stuck at home with nothing but time and ideas about remodeling their houses.....and now that they have a stimulus check burning a hole in their pockets...they are killing us....we are slammed with work.
3. I take care of my place which is setting on 4 acres....between housework,cutting grass and all the maintenance involved.....there's a big chunk of my life gone every week.
4. I take care of my mother's place which is 15 minutes from my work....so add that commute time into my weekly total plus the actual time to cut grass and do maintenance for her...there's another chunk of my life gone every week.
5. I help maintain the airport by cutting grass,maintenance and helping in the shop working on planes,the tractor,mower,etc.....another chunk of my life gone every week.
6. I'm working on my PPL..... I'm building hours flying while studying for the written and I maintain the maintenance on the Tomahawk along with our A&P......more time gone each week.
7. I try to sneak out to the shop a few times during the week and get something accomplished....I'm constantly sourcing materials and parts when time allows at work or during the down time at night.

This is probably the only time in my life that I've ever been p*ssed off that I'm still working and not laid off.
Pretty much everyone that I know is enjoying a nice 3 - 6 month $ paid $ vacation and having the time of their lives doing it.
They're out flying,riding motorcycles,visiting family,fishing,getting work done around the house,etc....while I still go to work every day.

I'm also expanding my shop space and should have that done by this weekend....it will give me considerably more room to work on the Stork.

So,don't count anyone out on their build project unless you know for a fact that they have thrown in the towel.......
If I can find time to build.....anyone can.
I will have progress pics on my build log next week........stay tuned.

Kevin

Last edited:

N804RV

HBA Supporter
Ken W: I hate to tell you, but that doesn't look ANYTHING like a tail. No wonder it's taking so long! ;-)
--------------
The conclusion I draw from this thread is that the first project should be as simple as possible.
Engrish 2nd language, okay Joe? You very funny guy!