Hat Section forming or supplier

Discussion in 'Sheet Metal' started by DaveK, Feb 8, 2012.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Feb 8, 2012 #1

DaveK

DaveK

DaveK

I want to use some hat section (flanged channel) in my design but I'm struggling to figure out how to either make it my self, buy it, or have someone make it for me in the local area. I've searched the archive with no success and it seems most suppliers I've found have the wrong alloys. So a couple questions for everyone, any and all input is appreciated.
    So what I want are 1-inch tall by 1-inch wide hat sections, so flat sided C with outward bent flanges, out of 2024T-3, 8-10 feet long each.
    1. Does anybody know how to bend these up successfully on your brake? I can't seem to do it, the channel runs into the brake at some point preventing completion of the section. Maybe I need a different style brake, but would prefer to not to just for this one component?
    2. Any suppliers out there that would sell me less then a 1000 feet with these dimensions or something close? I'm designing it so can compensate for small changes in size.
    3. Anybody out there who has the equipment to successfully bend these up and willing to let me bring material to you to get bent up?

Thanks,
    Dave

2. Feb 9, 2012 #2

hogheadv2

hogheadv2

hogheadv2

*_
    _l l_ If this is my understanding.... in crude form. I would go to you sheet metal supply [Here it is Alro] have them shear me some strips 5'' +/- what ever your need. Then have the Aluminum gutter and siding guy with his 8+ foot long break fold them up for me.

Those 1 foot deep throat long things on top of the trucks...... For folding up window trims and such.... Bet many are looking for a few bucks on the side
    :gig:

***Well, I should have asked what gauge metal are you trying to form? For sheet this works, of you go into near 14 or heavier roll forms may be your choice with out causing stress fractures.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  3. Feb 9, 2012 #3

Dana

Dana

Dana

Super Moderator

Does it need to be 2024? Shapes like that are usually used for stiffening, where the buckling strength (which is a function of the modulus of elasticity rather than ultimate strength) is is the limiting factor rather than the tensile strength... so 6061 might work just as well, and be more available.

-Dana

The only problem with trouble-shooting is that sometimes trouble shoots back.

4. Feb 9, 2012 #4

Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher

5. Feb 9, 2012 #5

DaveK

DaveK

DaveK

Dana, in this case I wanted to use them as the longerons so the increased strength of 2024 would be useful. If only being used as stiffeners I would agree that 6061 would be sufficient. If I can't manufacture them easily or obtain from them somewhere reasonably I'll go to a more easily manufactured shape, but it works well for what I'm trying to do if I can get a hold of the stuff.

Joe, thanks for the link, I was aware of that material, but it is too thin and not the right shape for what I need it for.

Thanks guys,
    Dave

6. Feb 9, 2012 #6

hogheadv2

hogheadv2

hogheadv2

_/\_ Would a single rib or tent shape give you the stiffness your looking for? Easier to fold up.

7. Feb 10, 2012 #7

DaveK

DaveK

DaveK

I think I'll just stick with C shaped sections for the longerons and restrain them a bit more. Much simpler to make in the garage. The pointy hat sections could be useful for stiffening the skin in places however.

8. Feb 10, 2012 #8

WonderousMountain

WonderousMountain

WonderousMountain

Never had any trouble making them in my old break... Did you start with the inner folds or the outter?

9. Feb 10, 2012 #9

DaveK

DaveK

DaveK

Second try at a response, first one went poof.

I think the issue is the brake. The clamping surface for the sheet is about 3inches wide so if you try to do the outer flanges and then the inner the outer flange is under the clamp and you can't clamp the part. If you start with the inner bends then the piece again doesn't fit as the part can't be clamped without the box portion of the shape being in the way. My solution looks to be building the poor man's bending brake I saw published by EAA awhile back with a bit of a modification. It looks like if I trim the lower steel angle that makes up the brake I can create a slot that will give the outer flange a place to go and still allow clamping. Then the inner bends can be made without much difficulty.
    Just took a bit of doodling to figure that out! Only concern is putting that all together and finding out it won't bend thick enough sheet. I'll probably talk to a few more shops around here and see if I can find one who can bend with the required radius, might be cheaper then building or buying a new brake.

10. Feb 10, 2012 #10

Mad MAC

Mad MAC

Mad MAC

There is numerous roll formed sections available, Boeing uses numerous roll formed sections and these are available from places like http://bac1520.com/
    The Boeing series for hat sections is typically BAC1498-*** I think

As to what part number, what sort of dimensions are you after