• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Has high-wing plane design changed that little in seventy-five years?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snaildrake

I want to understand how recently designed planes might fly or function 'better' than much-imitated designs from the 30s or 40s. I am most interested in LSA high-wing utility two seaters that can handle short runways (STOL not critical).
Here are the craft I've come up with that interest me the most:

1. Modern all-metal kitplanes -- Zenith CH-750, Just Aircraft Highlander, maybe Murphy Rebel (no kits)
  2. Fairly modern designs with older materials -- Falconar AMF- 14H, Fisher Dakota Hawk
  3. 'Classic' STOL or utility replicas -- Wittman Buttercup, Ragwing Stork
Since I bit hard on the kit/homebuilt bait, I have looked at a couple hundred plane designs, trying to learn what works better: what climbs faster, is safer, more reliable, or what does these things more affordably. But so far the biggest innovation (forgetting avionics) I can come up with is that the newest kitplanes take less skill to build to a high level of quality.

Here are some related questions:

• What's really new in high-wing aircraft design?
  • Are any of the more recent designs clearly safer?
  • If I decide build speed is not a key factor, am I just as well off with a Falconar AMF- 14H as a CH-750 or a Just Air Highlander?
  • Is a wood/fabric design like the Falconar AMF-14H more advanced than a tube/fabric 1938 Wittman Buttercup?

Back