has anyone used the Artex 406test site?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

13brv3

Greetings,

I have an Artex ETL, and had my antenna in a (far) less than ideal spot. The plan was to sign up for their 406test site to verify that the self test was reaching the satellite. After no joy on a few tests, and no answer from Artex, I moved the antenna to the turtledeck. Next test, still no report from the system, and still no answer from Artex. Eventually, I I think I got everything entered correctly on their site, and I finally got a report back from my self test.

The question is whether you expect to see your actual position reported? There's no place for a position in the report, but they do have a map on the site, which shows nothing. I got a text right after the test with a Google Map link, but the lat lon was all zeros. The self test passed, which won't be the case if there's no position data. I've even inadvertently tested that... Just curious if anyone has used this, and seen a position reported?

Thanks,
Rusty (waiting for the FAA to approve the DAR)

Stolch

You’re good. The reason you don’t receive a position is because the test signal is discretely coded and routes to a test terminal, which does not determine location, then a notification goes to your address. A crash signal bounces down to a Local User Terminal, which does establish a location, and routes the data to NOAA mission control center, where a human picks up the phone and calls the local Sheriff. Ya don’t want that unless you really did crash. By the way your ELT is not all that precise in location unless you’ve tied it into a GPS source. If you have not, then the local CAP would likely still pinpoint your location once notified by the Sheriff using their handheld 121.5 VHF equipment, but they have to be very close as compared to the old days to pick up that transmission from you.

Last edited:

Stolch

Good plan! If you have your GPS source connected properly the instrument panel self-test lamp flash sequence will confirm (or dispute) proper installation.
Whatcha flying? You're not too far from me.

13brv3

The selftest passes, and I'm familiar with the 5 beep position failure code as well. The Artex is pretty unfriendly when it comes to GPS protocols. By default they figure everyone has a high end Garmin. I had to send mine back to get it reprogrammed to NMEA, and then it only recognizes 4800 baud. I'm using the output from my iFly 740b now, but I'm going to be installing a dedicated GPS programmed to make the Artex happy.

The plane is a Sonex Onex, with a Rotax 912UL. Just submitted the paperwork on the portal, expecting airworthiness inspection in the next few weeks.

Rusty

edwisch

I went through all that. There is no way to test the GPS position -- the satellite/ground system has no test function. It considers every signal to be an actual emergency. Too late now, but you can order the unit with either 4800 or 9600 baud. For ELT purposes, the slower baud rate is a so what.

13brv3

I went through all that. There is no way to test the GPS position -- the satellite/ground system has no test function. It considers every signal to be an actual emergency. Too late now, but you can order the unit with either 4800 or 9600 baud. For ELT purposes, the slower baud rate is a so what.
There was some fine print that I missed about ordering with NMEA, but even when I had it reprogrammed, I was told 4800 was the only option. I would love to have had it at 9600 since my Dynon GPS could have been used. It seems crazy to me that there's no way for the unit to automatically recognize a variety of protocols, or at least offer a way for the user to configure it. Next time I need an ELT I'll look for a better option.

Rusty

rick9mjn

to...Rusty...
here are some 2 cent points....
with you having a "Sonex Onex, with a Rotax 912UL." to do the testing flying. on
please do check on the rules, and you will find out that with the "Sonex Onex".
with it being a single place airplane you are not required to have a "ELT" on board.
and with fact that you will may spend the first 3 to 10 hours circling.
your home airport. on your test flight's. and having a ELT on board could be a waste of
your money and weight. at one time,
I was checking out the "kitfox's" and the "rans's S7, and some people, in the forums.
were saying for every "" pound "" added to the
airplane would mean that you would ""loose"" 1 foot per. minute off of your climb rate,
on most small airplanes.
good day ,good luck..../rick
P.S.....i am very jealous of you having a Sonex Onex with a Rotax ,
I will be a waiting your test flight reporting and your onex photos

Stolch

Can you provide some context on “good”? Have you had bad experiences with ELTs?

13brv3

Rick,

Absolutely correct that a single place doesn't require an ELT. I don't think any experimental is required to have the ELT during the phase 1 time, but don't quote me on that There are plenty of places here that an ELT is the only way they'd ever find me, particularly since I have no transponder and ADSB. It adds some peace of mind, which is worth the weight.

The Onex should be fun. I had the 912UL already, so it was worth using to start. I might eventually swap it for 100HP or more.

Rusty

Bill-Higdon

Rick,

Absolutely correct that a single place doesn't require an ELT. I don't think any experimental is required to have the ELT during the phase 1 time, but don't quote me on that There are plenty of places here that an ELT is the only way they'd ever find me, particularly since I have no transponder and ADSB. It adds some peace of mind, which is worth the weight.

The Onex should be fun. I had the 912UL already, so it was worth using to start. I might eventually swap it for 100HP or more.

Rusty
Having spent time involved with aircraft searches in the west side of the "Big Rock Pile" an ELT is a good thing for "Peace of Mind" if not for you then for your relatives & friends for the it can bring closure to your end if nothing else

BJC

Can you provide some context on “good”?
Good, as in reliable, 406 MHz, GPS input, easy to install, uses batteries that last a long time and are not overly expensive.
Have you had bad experiences with ELTs?
Never needed one, but have had one go off sitting in a hangar a day after the most recent flight. Also have chased down a handful of local aircraft with the same problem.

BJC

rick9mjn

>>>> There are plenty of places here that an ELT is the only way they'd ever find me,
particularly since I have no transponder and ADSB.
It adds some peace of mind, which is worth the weight.
The Onex should be fun. I had the 912UL already,.....<.via Rusty..<<<<<<

....to add on to my 2 cent points,,,, with you not having a transponder, "putting"
in a ELT , it is problem-ly a "real" good idea, and it would be CHEAPER, LIGHTER,
and less of a hassle of installing and using. of a ADSB transponder system.
ALSO do you have posting / blog ,of your building of your "fun one - Onex"
... good day / have fun / rick

rick9mjn

Rusty...thanks for the link, to your photos and info.........yellow ls a cool color for a fun airplane.
and your Onex sure does look good and should be a lot of fun.....
it look so dam good, in fact if, i could fly / land a tail-wheel airplane ,
i would be looking for my car keys, and be begging for you to sell it to me..
good day / have fun / rick