Has anyone used Cerakote?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
The two things that generally make a powder coating more durable than paint are its greater thickness and its greater flexibility. There are many types of powder coating, but they tend to stretch/give more than paint and are less brittle. I think it is the reason offered for preferring paint: paint is more likely to crack to the surface and less likely to stretch/bridge a small underlying crack.
I don't know where Cerakote lies on this continuum.

ScaleBirdsScott

Cerakote is very thin. Thin enough to spray on firearms parts and then assemble them for fit and function. (There are of course areas where you still need to mask off depending on the design.)

If a crack developed, I'm almost certain you'd notice it through the hard cerakote layer.

Lendo

I heard that Powder Coasting is not recommended as it's hard and stiff and when cracks allows water penetration and hides rust, but there my be more flexible stuff available now, not an expert on it myself.
George

bmcj

HBA Supporter
I avoid anything that even remotely sounds or spell like “Cerakote”. The last and only time I tried singing, I got booed off the stage.