Has anyone built their own personal flying machine?

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by TVresearch, May 22, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. May 22, 2019 #1

TVresearch

TVresearch

TVresearch

Hi there,

I work for a television production company and I am currently doing some research into the exciting world of aviation.

I am trying find stories of people who have built their own incredible and unusual flying machines and aircraft (or are still building), and was wondering whether anyone here would be willing to share their stories with me?

The more unusual the craft the better - we are looking for everything from self designed planes and gyroplanes, to experimental eVTOL's and paramotors.

If you are willing to share your story then please respond to this post - it would be great to find out a little bit about yourselves and your projects. What have you built? Is it finished? Why did you decide on this? Do you have an aviation background? If not, what industry do you work in?

Thank you in advance for any help you can give with this - I am looking forward to hearing your stories.

2. May 22, 2019 #2

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

If you want really interesting try to contact a former member here that went by the screen name of Aircar. Unfortunately the swap to our new software has destroyed any direct link to him.

A posting on the Australian site would probably be the best way to find him. He is .......... Quixotic ......... but full of good information and would make a great story about homebuilt aircraft.

https://www.recreationalflying.com/

TVresearch likes this.
  3. May 22, 2019 #3

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    TVresearch likes this.
  4. May 22, 2019 #4

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

Barnaby Wainfan's facetmobile ticks all your boxes. Have a google. He posts in here as bwainfan.
    Another project that impressed me is Norm Langlois' flying boat. Anyone who makes things will appreciate the construction.

TVresearch likes this.
  5. May 22, 2019 #5

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

You've got to be kidding, right? You come to a home-built airplane forum and ask if there is anyone that built, designed, or flies their own airplane???o_O

Personally, I am interested in designing a pure flying wing. Check out http://twitt.org/ or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horten_brothers to see what I am talking about.

All of us have different motivations. I don't know if I will ever build anything more than a RC model, but I just like the challenge of doing something that most say is not possible.

TVresearch likes this.
  6. May 22, 2019 #6

radfordc

radfordc

radfordc

My friend and I built this replica of a World War I Fokker Eindecker KC DAWN PATROL-3956.jpg KC DAWN PATROL-9395.jpg

skier, TVresearch and rv6ejguy like this.
  7. May 22, 2019 #7

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

Check out user name 'Pops' on here. He has designed, built, and flies several of his own designs.

Also check user name 'Fritzw'. He is currently designing a CNC cut plywood "tab A into slot B" type simple construction aircraft.

TVresearch likes this.
  8. May 22, 2019 #8

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

I'd suggest you take a tour of the "member project logs" section of this site. It's like a catalog of potential material for you. If you find something you like, contact the owner and see if they want to share more.

TVresearch and Tantrum1 like this.
  9. May 22, 2019 #9

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

I am just starting the process of designing and building such an aircraft now. If you want to create a longitudinal and/or unscripted story about the process from start to finish, and have it all happen about fifteen minutes from Burbank, using people who are already "set trained" and have several interesting connections to the TV industry, let me know. If it matters, my project will be a very small "flying wing" powered by what is essentially a go-kart engine. We can create all sorts of problems with the local FAA, flight test it out near Edwards AFB under military surveillance, have engineers break the test models by overloading it with sandbag weights, have engine failures during testing, etc. People involved with the project include a couple of FX and "powder card" folks, a transpo coordinator with his own high speed experimental airplane, one or two people who have/had secret clearances doing the electronics and engineering, etc.

Is your project a 10 minute segment or a whole series?

TVresearch likes this.
  10. May 22, 2019 #10

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Sell him the whole series, even if it isn't your project. We can be a lot more interesting than the overabundance of custom auto/restoration reality shows.

akwrencher and pictsidhe like this.
  11. May 22, 2019 #11

BoKu

BoKu

BoKu

I designed a nuclear fusion powered racing aircraft. I teach people how to make them out of carbon fiber during regular build sessions at my workshop.

gtae07, wwalton, Pops and 8 others like this.
  12. May 22, 2019 #12

radfordc

radfordc

radfordc

Remember the guy who was going to design and construct an airplane in 30 days. The TV show was almost painful to watch!

FritzW, TVresearch and BoKu like this.
  13. May 22, 2019 #13

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Chuck Slusarczyk came out here to LA several years ago to do an episode of "Junkyard Wars" where they built something out of junkyard airplane parts. It worked, they didn't kill anybody, and it made reasonably good TV.

aeromomentum, TVresearch and BoKu like this.
  14. May 22, 2019 #14

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

We also have a local guy who HAS built and flown a VERY exotic "flying motorcycle"/gyrocopter, and can put that exotic machine back in the air for your show. There is truly nothing else like it. He's now working on building an electric powered aircraft using the electric motor and batteries from the Zero motorcycle. The guy has a perfect face and persona for this kind of TV.

We can also provide you with the one (and only) civilian flying "rocket belt" that has been featured in TV/film, was on the Michael Jackson European tour, James Bond movies, etc. Our EAA chapter president was on the team that reverse engineered it from the original 1960's military Bell rocket belt.

Just bring money :)

TVresearch likes this.
  15. May 22, 2019 #15

TerryM76

TerryM76

TerryM76

Bob. Does your design incorporate an H2O mass multiplier?

All jesting aside, Bob is involved in the rarest segment of our homebuilt world and is producing kits for a high-performance sailplane of his own design and is teaching people how to build them. I don't know of anyone else in this country involved in such activities.

TVresearch likes this.
  16. May 22, 2019 #16

TVresearch

TVresearch

TVresearch

Thank you for all of your comments to far! Just to add a little more info... we are developing an idea that will look at all things home built aviation.

Not just traditional planes but other areas too, including helicopters, gyroplanes, eVTOL's, jetpacks and much more.

Do any of you have experience of people who have built strange/very experimental machines other than planes? I just had a look through the "member project logs" feed as suggested and there are loads of great planes on there!

I would also love to hear about what your motivations to build your aircraft are and what it is that you use them for.

17. May 22, 2019 #17

don january

don january

don january

As the builder of a Taylor-mono plane shown in members project log I retired my KR-2 N40WS to see just how much of the parts could be reused on my T-mono. My motivation is simple first I love to fly and next is the joy of building and using my mind to look out of the box of the build and improve in my way to better the craft. Because of being a member of this Forum for over 4 years one thing I have found is the enormous amount of diversity in options of build Technic and materials used. Like all the world. things get newer and more advanced such as power plants and design. I myself like the challenge of taking a nearly 60 year old design and seeing if I can get it in the air and seeing if the rumor that one craft was the motivation of another. Don

TVresearch likes this.
  18. May 22, 2019 #18

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

One of the most prolific designer/builders was Burt Rutan (not a member of this forum). Google him to see more if you are not already familiar. Though he is now retired and working on his new long range seaplane in Idaho, he is responsible for a myriad of very unique designs during his years in Mojave California, including two planes that flew around the world nonstop and unrefueled, another that is the world’s largest plane, and he also designed the first civilian aircraft to fly into space. He is not just a sketch artist, he actually builds and flies his designs. Here are a few of his earlier designs:

C64F2EDC-B742-4376-A33C-CC80DBCE62B0.jpeg

TVresearch likes this.
  19. May 22, 2019 #19

BJC

BJC

BJC

Sorry. The ones that I knew are all dead.

BJC

20. May 22, 2019 #20

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

Checkout rockiedog2 on here. Or me. There are a bunch of folks flying or building self designed airplanes on here. Now for the really weird, you gotta do more digging. There are some circular wing things, ring ring things, but I can not point you to anyone right now. Except maybe Barnaby Wainfain... Have fun.

TVresearch likes this.