Has anyone built a 103 UL Hummel Ultracruiser?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

MACOWA

Supporting Member
A "classic six pack" for an UL? A Quicksilver MX normally had a clamp on tube airspeed indicator, a combo CHT/EGT gauge, a tach, and maybe an altimeter (and if you were really well equipped one of those snazzy little ball compasses that mount on the dash of your car). The lack of any of those would not "cause some real problems". Flying a UL really is a seat of the pants sort of thing that doesn't require "big airplane" tools.
My last UL was a Quicksilver MX on a set of fiesta floats. It used a CHT/EGT, a Snazzy ball compass and a hang glider type variometer. For an ASI and tach I used my beard and ears. Flying the Olympic peninsula presents some particular challenges. Terrain often goes from sea level to 5000 feet and back down again in the space of 20 miles Wind and weather can change instantly. The MX was a hoot to fly but its use was constrained to the bays and inlets on a calm day. I am hoping to use the UC for crossing the peninsula. Some "little big plane" tools may be required. Just kidding about the attache case but inventive ways to pull an end run around 254 are of interest to many.

MACOWA

Supporting Member
Get one of those Wing Bug or BOM Bluetooth avionics sensor packages and make it quick removable (as you can use it on any aircraft, just like a handheld radio) And use a cheap tablet as a display that plugs into a lightweight mount so that it's also removable. (Cuz it's your personal tablet computer!) Then all you have left are a few engine instruments and switches.
I'm looking into some of this stuff. Very interesting !

challenger_II

That is the issue in a nutshell. Folks seem to want to build an ultralight, but keep trying to emulate a GA aircraft. All the gidgets & gadgets keep adding weight. Keep it simple, keep it light!

A "classic six pack" for an UL? A Quicksilver MX normally had a clamp on tube airspeed indicator, a combo CHT/EGT gauge, a tach, and maybe an altimeter (and if you were really well equipped one of those snazzy little ball compasses that mount on the dash of your car). The lack of any of those would not "cause some real problems". Flying a UL really is a seat of the pants sort of thing that doesn't require "big airplane" tools.

ScaleBirdsScott

I agree for the typical ultralight what actual use is there knowing most stuff when they can mostly be flown
Thanks for the tip on these devices. Have you tried either of them? They both look pretty spiffy, and I like that the BOM lets you use different hardware/software rather than purely Apple based.

I haven't personally but have seen a few in use on different installs and talking to the owners they seem to be well received. Thinking about getting a BOM for our P-36 as a secondary set of data collection to compare against the aircraft's built-in pitot system.

Turd Ferguson

Supporting Member
if you watch his build from start to finish, he does a few changes with lighting holes, a few rivet changes,
There's two rib options. The ribs that are built up from sheet bent into angles and there are the conventional hand hammered ribs. The built up ribs are lighter. Using solid rivets whenever possible will save a pound. There's no doubt one can be built inside 103 parameters. The stall speed complies as well unless your fudging on weight.

Lucky Dog

Supporting Member
I'm a fan. Being made entirely of aluminum and sporting a four-stroke engine, Hummel's Ultra Cruiser has been the target of 103 doubter's scrutiny since its inception. If any airplane maker could be trusted to deliver a true 103 airplane, this is the one. If yours comes out too heavy, then you will have fallen fell prey (like so many of us have) to the "I can build it better" virus. It converts random creativity and good intentions into unnecessary weight. There is no vaccine for the builder, and no known method to reverse the disease once it has infected the aircraft. On another subject, James Wiebe's contributions to light aircraft may not be his tinfoil and foam fliers - but the innovative instruments he developed. Google Belite Radiant instruments. A full panel weighs less than a conventional altimeter - and they don't care if the panel is vibrating all the time. Good luck! Stick with the plans. It will be a beauty.

MACOWA

Supporting Member
I'm a fan. Being made entirely of aluminum and sporting a four-stroke engine, Hummel's Ultra Cruiser has been the target of 103 doubter's scrutiny since its inception. If any airplane maker could be trusted to deliver a true 103 airplane, this is the one. If yours comes out too heavy, then you will have fallen fell prey (like so many of us have) to the "I can build it better" virus. It converts random creativity and good intentions into unnecessary weight. There is no vaccine for the builder, and no known method to reverse the disease once it has infected the aircraft. On another subject, James Wiebe's contributions to light aircraft may not be his tinfoil and foam fliers - but the innovative instruments he developed. Google Belite Radiant instruments. A full panel weighs less than a conventional altimeter - and they don't care if the panel is vibrating all the time. Good luck! Stick with the plans. It will be a beauty.
How right you are ! I have been "infected" for many years. The only remedy I have found is to weigh everything down to the last washer and rivet and maintaining the ability to realize that ones creativity can result in a lot of just plain bad ideas. I am following the prints and build manual to the letter, with one exception I will be using a different power plant. I have been consulting with Hummel builder support about this since before I ordered my kit and as things progress. These guys are absolutely top notch ! My comment about smuggling instruments aboard in an attache case was made entirely tongue in cheek, and seems to have generated some fun. I have been following Dennis's build on you tube and he made weight a couple of days ago with some to spare ! He is installing Belite components. I will be following his continuing success.