Has anybody was able to conduct business with Great Plains new owner?

Discussion in 'Volkswagen' started by Abraham Leket, Aug 26, 2016.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Sep 13, 2016 #41

PW_Plack

PW_Plack

PW_Plack

I'm sorry, but if someone is that far behind current communications technology, or that distracted by personal problems, it doesn't really matter how good his intentions are. To the people in this market segment, that's a lot of money to risk on someone who won't, or can't, pay attention to customers.

If it's this hard to give him money, how hard will it be to reach him if your stuff doesn't show up?

2. Sep 13, 2016 #42

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

Armchair Mafia Conspirator HBA Supporter

What is non-standard about sending payment before the product is sent to you? Perhaps there are different norms in different countries, but it's highly unusual around here to expect to receive something before you pay for it.

Perhaps if you do not trust the seller an escrow service could be arranged.

3. Sep 13, 2016 #43

Abraham Leket

Abraham Leket

Abraham Leket

Sorry-nothing that has to do with $500 deposit. Its common and acceptable practice around the world.
    I've posted a fair warning to proceed with EXTREME CAUTION (good advise to any other businees where you pay $8000 prior to shipping) and thats all I can contribute at this point on the GPAS establishment that changed 2 owners in the last year -without getting into legal trouble.
    I'm waiting for the first distress post from somebody else- then we will exchange notes. I'll be more than happy to hear that they are prompt in orders and on solid foundation after all- there are only 2 vendors for VW kits.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  4. Sep 13, 2016 #44

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

And that's all the more reason to treat those two businesses very fairly. Everybody flying a VW engine benefits when these engines and their parts remain available, and when there is healthy competition from companies providing good service. This entire "flying VW" industry is not a high volume one, and the survivors (there used to be many more) remain because they have a good reputation for providing excellent service, products, and value. Since it's only been two weeks since you placed your order, I'm assuming that you haven't seen the product from GPAS and have no complaints about the engine kit they sell. Instead, something happened between the time you reached an agreement (and everyone was happy) and this recent post. All people see here is that you've suddenly got a problem, have cancelled your order, and that you are urging people to exercise "EXTREME CAUTION" in dealing with this company. Fair?

Full disclosure: I have an Aerovee engine with some GPAS parts, and I have brakes bought from GPAS. I have had great service from the company, but have not had occasion to purchase parts since the ownership changed.

Topaz likes this.
  5. Sep 13, 2016 #45

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Scott Casler sells VW kits, parts and complete engines.
    Lowest price, as far as I know.

Topaz likes this.
  6. Sep 13, 2016 #46

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

How, exactly? You paid him the $80 for the CD, and it wasn't sent? Seems like only a week went by. What exactly happened that made this a "fiasco"?

7. Sep 13, 2016 #47

Abraham Leket

Abraham Leket

Abraham Leket

I've ordered my engine from Sonex, receive attention to all my requests AND changes in the cart, I feel secure to send them $K from 4000 miles.
    The oversea phone calls I had to make to GPSA cost me $120...there was no reply from the mail for weeks. CD package follow up number was TOTALY wrong,- I all ready gave up on the CD's but USPS delivered it to IsraeI today just the same...
    I had bad shopping experience- its not the end of the world- my opinion toward GPSA is hard to convey- all I can say- either its a brand new firm and owner, and/or
    break in period for the sales department computer software- that did not stop them from contacting PAYPAL for $500 advance request when my cart was 10 days empty... I cancelled my Visa immediatly-they had the number and the security 3 digits from the CD order-they dont accept PAYPAL from customers- yet they contact PAYPAL- strange..
    My warning stays. Extra vigilance is required.

8. Sep 13, 2016 #48

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Then, and maybe this is just me, isn't the "BEWARE!!!" sort of warning a bit over the top?

9. Aug 12, 2017 #49

mcmurphy

mcmurphy

mcmurphy

I wanted to update this thread. I have a Great Plains 1915cc engine that I bought late in 2015. I assembled it in 2016 and started it for the first time 5 weeks ago. It has run great from the start and the only issue I had was that after the first engine run I was getting no voltage output from the charging system. Last week I pulled the engine off of my plane and found that the windings on the stator were touching the accessory case in three spots causing a short that burnt the stator and voltage regulator to a crisp. I emailed Great Plains and Martin Roberts called me the next day. He said that they had seen some problems with the stators and that it and the voltage regulator would be replaced under warranty. 3 days later I had a new stator and regulator ready to install on my engine. Thanks to Great Plains Aviation Supply for the great service!

delta and BJC like this.