Has anybody was able to conduct business with Great Plains new owner?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

MikePousson

If you want to build some confidence in their reliability doing business, order some small part that you'll need for your conversion. Something "big enough" to be an order that won't get lost in the cracks, but small enough that you haven't lost a bunch of money if things go wrong. GPAS sells parts as well as full kits. Try them out in the real world.

I understand that it's frustrating that he's not answering e-mails, but it's also not the end of the world. Instead of worrying about what might happen, test what will happen. It's the only way you'll know for sure.
Thats a good idea to do a test run. But do an online order form and go thru it all the way to the final buy button. For a small purchase for an international buyer, the shipping costs will probably triple the total costs. I found that out with the $10 DVD. And then when it gets to the buyers country, UPS or FedEx will add a brokerage fee on top of local taxes.
When I need to order from a US company I make sure they ship USPS. Canada Post doesn't ever charge me brokerage fees. If it's gotta go by courier, I ship it to Louisiana and niece stores it for me till I go pick it up and carry it across the border. But that is kinda unique for me.
You guys in the US have it good for shipping.

If a call was made @ 5:30 PM Israeli time, it will be 9:30 AM Nebraska time. All the office BS is out of the way and people are working. I'd give them a try. If that don't work, PM me and I'll call them and tell them "Answer your E Mails folks, you're holding up the show". It don't cost me anything to call the US. Wait till a weekday.

I got nothing better to do than aggravate some people. It seems my wife don't nibble the hook anymore.:gig:

Rockiedog2

I wonder if Valley Engineering would build you a motor, run it in and debug it, disassemble it and ship to you and you could "build" it? A kit.

Abraham Leket

This a real Monty Pyton Parrot scatch.... They will charge me -in my opinion $1000 for this stunt ..
Thanks anyway.

BJC

HBA Supporter
I had a chance to talk to the new owner-Don about a week ago- but was unable to send him Emails. He does not answer them.
I'm using the address: info@greatplainsas.com
is there a different email address?
Has anyone receive goods from GP new owner from OK lately?
Thanks
Abe
What did he tell you when you talked to him? You were unable to send him emails that he does not answer????

Would anyone here shove $7000 to a hole-waiting for a trap door to open with an engine?
and if nothing happends call Valley Engineering to fix it?
Don sounds nice and relaxed- but answering an email? get a 12 year old -pay him $20 a week and dictate the answers- we are giving you life saving man!
My hard drive failed a few weeks ago, on a 9 month old computer. It took a couple of weeks to get it replaced under warranty. He may not be especially savvy wrt computers, and may be having some problems.

Don has not got the sensitivity for oversea customer let alone locals.
This is risky retailing for me. So far I dealt with AS and WICKS two GIANTS of retailers- they know the stuff inside out. Don is a new guy-I'm not sure about his intentions and reputation to protect in the business, I dont hear about people that did receive something from him after he got paid, he does not work with PayPal (with its great dispute center).
Yet I need him-just my luck...
.... Don is not reading HBA nor his Email inbox, yet- he intends to make his living out of selling VW to experimentals (!!) ....
Lots of people get into the EAB parts business because of a passion for aviation. For many, it is a side job, not their primay source of income. Most have good intentions, but lack experience in running a business. Most are lucky to make a small profit each year.

I just called- 19:50 PM IsraeI time- 13:58 Nebraska- No dice. Recorded message.
This reminds me "this parrot is dead" scatch by Montey Pyton.www.youtube.com/watch?v=npjOSLCR2hE
I will call Monday again- but this will be my very last effort to do business with him.
So it has been about a week plus a couple of days, and you are going to end any opportunity to do business with him? Do you have any idea what is going on in his life right now?

I don't know the fellow that you are writing about, and I know nothing of his company, products or reputation, but it seem to me that some significant information is missing from the story as related here.

Good luck to each of you.

BJC

MikePousson

BJC?. He is trying to buy an engine (VW) from Great Plains, Steve Bennet's old company he sold last year for health reasons. I guess it's not as personal as it was when Bennett was there. I'll do some calling for Abraham next week.

Abraham.... Today is Saturday. They would not answer the phone today, as they are closed for the weekend.

Last edited:

Pops

Log Member
Do you have GPAS online catalog? You can have it all sorted out what you want? Elec starter or hand prop. Two mags or one mag and one electronic puck that fits distributor hole? I Think the 1600cc comes with a shrink fit hub, anything above has the force one prop hub. If one you order has the shrink hub, ask if it is already fitted and its in the stated price. Sonex charges way to much for that procedure. Also ask if they would throw in the DVD as part of the deal. I got the AeroVee DVD, and it is pretty useful, just to see the order of things.
Steve Bennett had a EAA Webinar on the engine and one thing I found interesting was dealing with the case and the heads. A lot of cooling can be had by paying attention to the casting slag on the fins of the head. Just that part is worthwhile.

Keep firing off emails or call them Monday. You'll get them. One other item. Steel cylinders. I don't think they offer the Nikasil anymore anymore,as they don't hold up.

http://eaavideo.org/video.aspx?v=2117083972001

PS... My Corby Starlet was designed for a 60 hp VW. That's what was available 50 years ago. Most are upgraded to the 2100 or 2400 nowadays. I seriously doubt the 80-85 HP claims.

Not 1600 but 1914 cc. Straight from Steve's mouth when I was talking to him.

Shrunk fit hub is very easy to install if you follow the instructions.

Abraham Leket

Got Don this morning. All's well- he is selling vw motors same as steve- the business is fine and Don is happy.
To show him my appreciation I even placed him an order for 1925cc flywheel type 1 and added firewall forward full package....
I've made his morning:ban:

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
To show him my appreciation I even placed him an order for 1925cc flywheel type 1 and added firewall forward full package....
Out of curiosity, what does it cost to have that shipped to Israel?
BTW, the GPAS assembly manual and the engine assembly DVD are well done and do a good job of distilling Steve's decades of experience so they are useful to homebuilders. Be sure to hang on to those so you or a local mechanic can do repairs or major maintenance in the future. Lots of stuff is common to "car" VWs, but there are also many important differences. Plus, there are fewer and fewer folks with Type 1 VW experience anymore, at least in some places.

Abraham Leket

I'll keep you all posted on cost of shipping by sea to IsraeI as soon as I get the bill. VAT is waiting too-you know- 17% in israeI..:mad2:

MikePousson

I'll keep you all posted on cost of shipping by sea to IsraeI as soon as I get the bill. VAT is waiting too-you know- 17% in israeI..:mad2:
We don't have VAT here inOntario, but we do have a 13% Sales tax plus the brokerage fee. So it probably adds 15% to the purchase price. Then there's the shipping. That's a whole other sore point with me.

mcmurphy

Is this the second owner since Steve's passing? I bought my engine kit a year ago and dealt with Martin Roberts. I heard at Oshkosh this year that GPAS had been sold again.

Abraham Leket

Sorry for the non-happy end here- after placing the engine order- things did NOT improve.
Before sending him $500 advance- I've asked the $80 CD to be send to IsraeI.
This turned out to be a bigger fiasco then the engine order.
To make long story short- I've cancelled GPSA and ordered 2100cc from Sonex.
To all those who are contemplating doing business with GPSA- be on the alert- they might be doing business but it turns out "non-standard" to put it mildly.