Has anybody was able to conduct business with Great Plains new owner?

Discussion in 'Volkswagen' started by Abraham Leket, Aug 26, 2016.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Aug 26, 2016 #1

Abraham Leket

Abraham Leket

Abraham Leket

I had a chance to talk to the new owner-Don about a week ago- but was unable to send him Emails. He does not answer them.
    I'm using the address: info@greatplainsas.com
    is there a different email address?
    Has anyone receive goods from GP new owner from OK lately?
    Thanks
    Abe

2. Aug 26, 2016 #2

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Super Moderator

Wasn't aware they have a new owner. Have any link to more information about that?

3. Aug 26, 2016 #3

MikePousson

MikePousson

MikePousson

I called them several weeks ago with a question and was surprised that he answered the phone. I didn't know at the time it was him I was talking to. I knew Steve sold the business, and heard since that he has passed away (I sure don't know that for fact). But the new guy was pleasant, folksy, and easy to speak with. He asked me to send some Canadian business his way and I asked him to open up a store up here. I'm still waiting.

4. Aug 26, 2016 #4

Orrem31

Orrem31

Orrem31

5. Aug 26, 2016 #5

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

Double post

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  6. Aug 26, 2016 #6

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

Same for me, no response to emails.

Is this a case of an older guy not savvy with modern communications?

I haven't tried it myself yet, but maybe through Valley Engineering if you are looking for a more complete Great Plains unit ...

http://www.culverprops.com/engines.php

7. Aug 26, 2016 #7

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Super Moderator

So, new owner. GP has been a leader in VW conversions for decades, and has done a very good job of it. The new guy has huge shoes to fill. Fingers crossed!

Pops likes this.
  8. Aug 26, 2016 #8

MikePousson

MikePousson

MikePousson

I don't know much about the man, but I've heard he is a long time aviation guy and someone who Steve knew a long time. Whether he's into the engines, as Steve was, or just a business man that saw a good buy, only time will tell. GPAS changed hands last year, I believe. I hadn't heard of any rumblings.
    If it were me, I'd make a phone call. Phone calls are cheap. Just remember the time differences. Nebraska is in Central Time Zone in US.

9. Aug 26, 2016 #9

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

The company didn't answer my email years ago either, when run by Steve.

10. Aug 26, 2016 #10

MikePousson

MikePousson

MikePousson

They answered my one and only e mail when I tore into them for wanting $35 for shipping their VW assembly DVD, when AeroVee sent me one for free. Their reply was Shipping rates to Canada "was not in their control". I have since cooled down.

11. Aug 27, 2016 #11

Rockiedog2

Rockiedog2

Rockiedog2

I talked to I guess "the man" right before OSH and got good vibes.

12. Aug 27, 2016 #12

Abraham Leket

Abraham Leket

Abraham Leket

Would anyone here shove $7000 to a hole-waiting for a trap door to open with an engine?
    and if nothing happends call Valley Engineering to fix it?
    Don sounds nice and relaxed- but answering an email? get a 12 year old -pay him $20 a week and dictate the answers- we are giving you life saving man!

13. Aug 27, 2016 #13

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

I'm in China, Abraham is in Israel.

It's 2016, Email is sufficient for 99% of all businesses, although I can't understand why about half of them take about 3 days to a week to reply, but at least they reply.

Abraham Leket likes this.
  14. Aug 27, 2016 #14

MikePousson

MikePousson

MikePousson

I realize that both of you guys and others are in different parts of the world. I call Dubai 2 times a week and wife calls Bangkock (sp) weekly to speak with son and our phone bills are quite reasonable. A one off call to get squared away on an engine purchase is much easier voice to voice. There's no "internet confusion". Internet email is wonderful, but in business, phones get answered.
    Abraham, call or e mail Revmaster. You'll get a reply and a pretty good engine.

15. Aug 27, 2016 #15

Abraham Leket

Abraham Leket

Abraham Leket

In order to get a waiver and get self maintenence without A&P- I need to construct the engine myself. So..its either Sonex Aero 2100 cc or GPAS 1835 cc.
    The single seat light FRED needs 60 Hp or 55 Hp cont. and Sonex is 80 hp since its 2100cc and build for twin seaters type (not to mention 30% more expensive). Revmaster is a 2400 cc monster- we can forget it..
    You can see that GPAS IS the solution- but ALAS- I got the shakes to send him $7000 cash and raise my blood pressure by 20% from just waiting for his mailman 4000 miles trip to end..
    Don has not got the sensitivity for oversea customer let alone locals.
    This is risky retailing for me. So far I dealt with AS and WICKS two GIANTS of retailers- they know the stuff inside out. Don is a new guy-I'm not sure about his intentions and reputation to protect in the business, I dont hear about people that did receive something from him after he got paid, he does not work with PayPal (with its great dispute center).
    Yet I need him-just my luck...
    I'm trying here to build some confidence- so far I hear question marks- its good for a final decision.
    keep comments flow- I need it. Thanks.
    BTW- Don is not reading HBA nor his Email inbox, yet- he intends to make his living out of selling VW to experimentals (!!) - I'm out of words...Were is his wife to kick his butt? do you have accounts payable due? Accounts receivables sounds familiar?
    Oh-Linda send something to Steve..tell him to appear in Don's afternoon snooze- and ....

Pops likes this.
  16. Aug 27, 2016 #16

MikePousson

MikePousson

MikePousson

Do you have GPAS online catalog? You can have it all sorted out what you want? Elec starter or hand prop. Two mags or one mag and one electronic puck that fits distributor hole? I Think the 1600cc comes with a shrink fit hub, anything above has the force one prop hub. If one you order has the shrink hub, ask if it is already fitted and its in the stated price. Sonex charges way to much for that procedure. Also ask if they would throw in the DVD as part of the deal. I got the AeroVee DVD, and it is pretty useful, just to see the order of things.
    Steve Bennett had a EAA Webinar on the engine and one thing I found interesting was dealing with the case and the heads. A lot of cooling can be had by paying attention to the casting slag on the fins of the head. Just that part is worthwhile.

Keep firing off emails or call them Monday. You'll get them. One other item. Steel cylinders. I don't think they offer the Nikasil anymore anymore,as they don't hold up.

http://eaavideo.org/video.aspx?v=2117083972001

PS... My Corby Starlet was designed for a 60 hp VW. That's what was available 50 years ago. Most are upgraded to the 2100 or 2400 nowadays. I seriously doubt the 80-85 HP claims.

Abraham Leket likes this.
  17. Aug 27, 2016 #17

Abraham Leket

Abraham Leket

Abraham Leket

Thanks Mike!
    Yes- I know exactly what I need down to the carb selection and have Steve's Catalog which I think is just a piece of wall paper by now.
    Steve had many Pre-Assembled section like- ready made exhusts with heat, balanced crackshaft, Flywheel bed type engine mount, Pre weld intake manifold,
    and this guy does not even read Emails- you expect him to Tig weld your manifolds....
    I'm lost we are ALL in a problem and people- you dont even know it. The 60Hp is dead by now.
    What a blow. O-100 is a year from completion and ..
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=11ZkH2pWwK4

18. Aug 27, 2016 #18

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

Just for comparison only, the similar Jabiru 2200 is about 80hp max and has actually been detuned a bit since originally released at that point. I believe the certification test reads 65hp - but not 100% on that.

I do lots of stuff via Viber calls for free, only need WiFi.

19. Aug 27, 2016 #19

MikePousson

MikePousson

MikePousson

The 2200 is a good option if a used one was available. I've only seen one used one advertised in the last several months and it was at the Jab dealer in Tennessee. Too pricy new.

cheapracer likes this.
  20. Aug 27, 2016 #20

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Super Moderator

If you want to build some confidence in their reliability doing business, order some small part that you'll need for your conversion. Something "big enough" to be an order that won't get lost in the cracks, but small enough that you haven't lost a bunch of money if things go wrong. GPAS sells parts as well as full kits. Try them out in the real world.

I understand that it's frustrating that he's not answering e-mails, but it's also not the end of the world. Instead of worrying about what might happen, test what will happen. It's the only way you'll know for sure.