Harrison Ford in the news again

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Kevin N

After watching the youtube from post #79 I'm trying to figure out why the "retired" airline pilot is wearing those uniform glad rags. I'm retired and all mine went to goodwill. I still have the stripes but don't see the need to dress up for a TV interview. More sensationalism by the media. Guy should keep his pie hole shut.

Rockiedog2

Oh S**t. If that vid is what really happened and he passed right over the top of the Boeing that don't look good for him atall. That's a pretty glaring clue...

I'm with you Kevin. My stuff except the wings and stripes went in the trash. Maybe he has the "god" image thing. Wonder where they drug him up from...believe the caption said "former" airline pilot. Got a friend and retired fellow pilot from my airline who is the narrator on the Smithsonian Channel documentary on the MD11(I think) landing crash at Hong Kong or somewhere over there. He's in a suit and tie. Good on him.

Kevin N

Yes I believe that is what happened as depicted in the video. Thats pretty egregious. Looks like the Boeing was holding short of the runway he was supposed to land on. If it went as the ATC controllers planned the Boeing crew would have seen him pass in front of them. They will probably 709 him if he's lucky.

Daleandee

Yes I believe that is what happened as depicted in the video. Thats pretty egregious. Looks like the Boeing was holding short of the runway he was supposed to land on. If it went as the ATC controllers planned the Boeing crew would have seen him pass in front of them. They will probably 709 him if he's lucky.
Earlier I said, "mistakes happen" and they do but this may be much more serious than I first guessed. Listen at this:

[video=youtube;5Rt4slowGVM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Rt4slowGVM[/video]

I hate it for him but I would think that big white airplane in the middle of the windshield on approach might be a clue that it wasn't going as planned ...

Dale Williams
N319WF @ 6J2
Myunn - "daughter of Cleanex"
120 HP - 3.0 Corvair
Tail Wheel - Center Stick
Signature Finish 2200 Paint Job
139.5 hours / Status - Flying

Last edited by a moderator:

Rockiedog2

for those who don't know what a 709 is

One of the enforcement actions that FAA can take against a pilot is known as a "709 ride" in which your certifications and rating are reevaluated by the FAA.

In my experience, the reevaluation is common when there's a screwup. done in the sim, got at least one fed lookin over your shoulder as well as company check pilot(s). it's all on the line...pressure man. (I never had to do one)course in Mr Ford's case his job isn't on the line.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Of course, if one were cleared to land and thought they were aimed for the runway, they might assume that the airline had been cleared to taxi across ahead of them on its way to the big runway, or was intended to be positioned safely below the glide slope.

Pilots generally assume that ATC knows what if's doing and might jump to the conclusion that the situation was a planned one rather than recognize it as an error on their part, especially if ATC hasn't issued any warnings or corrections. (Note: I am not laying this at the feet of ATC... I know they might not have been able to tell that he was lined up with the taxiway.)

Victor Bravo

Once again I am definitely not a professional level pilot. So I cannot address anything from that perspective. My hat's off to the people who have done airline flying and lived with all that daily pressure of line checks and sim checks and whatever other cavity searches that the company and insurance people put them through.

However, I do believe that if it were me, I would have a press conference (one where I was in control... proactive and not reactive) to calm everyone down. I would explain that it is indeed a tricky airport, and that I made an error that a hundred other pilots had made, and that just like we all do everyday in a crowded parking lot... there was never any real danger of a collision. I would come up with a clear analogy that nobody could argue with:

"Ladies and gentlemen, every day when we drive down the road, we are technically "inches from an accident" with every lane change, every stop sign, every pedestrian crossing in front of us. But we steer our cars away from the pedestrians and school buses long before we collide with them. If you're not a movie star, the public and the media doesn't panic every time you change lanes to avoid an accident. At a confusing and crowded airport, I accidentally lined up to land on the wrong strip of pavement. Several other pilots have done this same thing at this same airport. I passed over an airliner, but the airliner was in full view and there was absolutely no way that I could have, or would have collided with the airliner. But, I will gladly ask the FAA do a full check and verification of my piloting skills and judgment in order to make all parties involved, including me, confident that I'm fit to fly."

During that public press conference I would ASK/OFFER the FAA to take a 709 ride. In the week before that 709 ride I would fly 6 hours a day with different instructors in every aircraft I was rated in and make sure I was razor sharp.

Kevin N

I recommend Harrison wait for the certified letter and in the meantime contact AOPA legal. Having a press conference spilling the truth then claiming this happens often with others is a little slap in the face to the FAA, the very agency that regulates and keeps aviation safe. As far as the Hollywood media types the best Harrison can hope for is some big name actor to create a diversion like announcing going to rehab some other usual Hollywood drama to take the attention off him.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
It's a shame they put the GA runway so close to the airliner runway. Should be separated at least a half mile on the other side of the terminal or something and should have a separate frequency. No mixing.
Ideally, yes. But property values in much of Orange County are north of $1M per acre and there just isn't that much room available for such a widely dispersed airport. When MCAS El Toro shut down (it's a very few miles south-east of SNA), there were high hopes (and a lot of pressure from not only GA groups but the airlines) to turn that field, with its multiple long runways, into "Orange County International", and then turn John Wayne (SNA) over to general aviation and the very large business-jet community here, allowing complete separation of GA traffic from the airliners. Everyone involved wanted it. However, the projected departure path was out over the Newport Coast, an extremely affluent area even by OC standards. They used their connections and dollars to have the plan shut down, and instead "we" (the OC voters) were convinced by a quite spectacular PR project to turn MCAS El Toro into the "Great Park", a vast open-space area with biking and hiking trails, sports parks, and lots of area returned to wilderness. Why anyone believed that was actually going to happen, I don't know, but after nearly ten years (or is it more, now?), nothing of the "Great Park" has been built, hundreds of millions of dollars have been paid out to "study contracts", and now the area of MCAS El Toro has been re-zoned and re-planned for... wait for it... square miles of tract houses and strip malls. There will be a couple of big sports parks and the "wilderness area" has been reduced to... two premium golf courses.

And all the while, SNA soldiers on with a crazy mix of GA and heavy iron with, as BMCJ pointed out, the airliner terminal on the GA-runway side of the field, and the big majority of the GA FBO's and other operations on the airliner-runway side of the field. The two runways only a very short distance apart. It's crazy, it's wrong, but that's the way it's going to stay.

Winginit

A new bridge was planned between Indiana and Ky. The approach on the Ky side was thru an affluent area. They managed to keep it from happening for many years with their money and influence. Finally in a last ditch effort they had a home declared as part of the National Historic Registry (or whatever its called). The home could not be moved or torn down because of its new status. Millions of dollars were then spent to build a tunnel under the home so that access to the new bridge could be had.
Then there was a big uproar when the FAA said that the trees surrounding a secondary local airport needed cutting. The money and influence wasn't able to avert that no matter how much they cried that the earth would surely perish without those few trees. Its a shame that so many people try to use good causes and twist them as an excuse to prevent something they are against. Personally I think its not the land developers that need one way check rides, its the "poli....... (oops, can't say that word here). You get exactly what "the special interests" pay for.Guess who all that tract housing is going to be for ? Is Russia's invasion of ??? Korea done yet?

thinker 1.jpg

Last edited:

BBerson

HBA Supporter
They should abandon the short 20L runway, it's too close to the jet runway.
Then convert taxiway C into the new 20L GA runway. It would be then further from the jet runway. A future GA pilot might need to hold and wait some before accessing taxiway A, but that's better than hitting wake turbulence or worse.

Harrison was just using good sense. I think the airport was poorly engineered, just my 5 minute assessment. :gig:

TFF

For GA at that airport, I have never seen so many planes tied down, There was about 20 Cirrus'; even Lears are there on tiedown. Its a pretty busy GA airport as it is airline.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
They should abandon the short 20L runway, it's too close to the jet runway.
Then convert taxiway C into the new 20L GA runway. It would be then further from the jet runway.
It would be, but the "new" 20L would be right behind the tails of the airliners, docked at the terminals on the other side of A. The well-funded airlines, that basically pay for the airport's existence, aren't going to like that.

I think the airport was poorly engineered, just my 5 minute assessment. :gig:
No argument from me. What really needs to happen is that the runways need to have their positions swapped, and that would eliminate all this problem forever. But that's clearly not going to happen, even if the FAA finds that the airport layout is the reason for this most-recent event.

BBerson

HBA Supporter
Birchwood airport near Anchorage actually allows landing on the east side taxiway. Fully FAA approved for ultralights or ski-planes.
The pilots somehow use common sense and don't hit other airplanes.

Rockiedog2

from BBerson
>>>Harrison was just using good sense. I think the airport was poorly engineered, just my 5 minute assessment.

I'm sincerely trying to figure out what you meant by the "using good sense" statement...are you saying he intentionally landed on the taxiway because it made more sense than landing on the runway he was assigned?

There are bad airports all over the world. Most of them stay that way for any number of reasons. The routine way the Feds handle it is to put the responsibility on the PIC. In all honesty, I didn't even bother to look at the airport diagram and try to figure out all the problems and solutions as that's just an academic exercise. Yeah, while many good points/solutions were made and I have no arguments, it's still simply a PIC responsibility. Maybe there will turn out to be circumstances like the tower screwed up or something but absent that, it looks like it's gonna be on Mr Ford regardless of how bad the airport is. We'll eventually know. I wish him well.
It's an unforgiving environment, always has been, always will be...and very few gray areas. We either get it right or get it wrong.
Just being realistic...

Group Builder