Harbour Air’s Electric Beaver has Flown!

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Pops

Log Member
Yeah, I initially wrote “The day is coming when you old farts ...” then realized that I’m probably older than everyone else here except Pops and Rockiedog2, so I changed it.

BJC
Rockiedog2 is so old he could be my Grandfather. Have you seen him in person ?
The number on his pilots license is -10 .

saini flyer

I can see it now... "When I was your age we had to put gasoline into these airplanes! We had to climb up a big ladder carrying a twenty pound hose, through the sleet and snow. We had to pull a big stick out of the engine and make sure it was filled with oil or else those engines would disintegrate! We had to take spark plugs out of the cylinders and sandblast them clean! You spoiled kids don't know how lucky you are... !"
and we will be called "certified old fart"

Jerry Lytle

...and had to hand swing a prop, sometimes standing in snow and hoping the idiot in the cocpit knew the difference between cracking the throttle and half throttle.

AIRCAB

The shop video indicates direct drive, the noise seems to be erratic. Also looks like they have a pile driver working to extend the docks.

Steve

Riggerrob

Background noise came from a variety of sources.
They did the test flight under the approach to Vancouver International Airport and a helicopter flew past - at low altitude - during the Electric Beaver test flight.

12notes

Lifetime Supporter
Log Member
The EAA reporter got it wrong. The flight used Lithium ion, not lead acid. In the article the EAA linked to as a source, the founder/CEO stated:
"The demonstrator Beaver carried 135Wh/kg lithium batteries – a relatively low-density battery that, while close to aviation standard, generally lacks sufficient power-density for viable commercial operations, McDougall says."

I think this has been mangled because he stated that they used a "tried and true" (CEO's words) battery on their first flight instead of a more powerful one, and people assumed this meant lead acid rather than a lower density lithium ion.

A Google search for "Harbour Air" "lead acid" doesn't give any notably reliable sources that connect the two.