Harbour Air’s Electric Beaver has Flown!

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

fly2kads

HBA Supporter
I had seen that they were close to being flight ready. Congrats to the team!

Victor Bravo

Wow, that must be one heck of a battery.

And one heck of a battery warmer system to operate an electric aircraft in the kind of environment where Beavers make their living.

Is this a proof of concept only, or is this something they think is going to replace the IC engines in working airplanes?

Tremendous achievement either way. Do they give an equivalent power rating of that motor, compared to the 985 or PT-6???

Staggermania

HBA Supporter
Wow, that must be one heck of a battery.

And one heck of a battery warmer system to operate an electric aircraft in the kind of environment where Beavers make their living.

Is this a proof of concept only, or is this something they think is going to replace the IC engines in working airplanes?

Tremendous achievement either way. Do they give an equivalent power rating of that motor, compared to the 985 or PT-6???
750hp continuous
2075 lbs torque

n3puppy

WOW!

Did any of the articles about this conversion say where the battery(s) are placed?
Wondering about CG, if they are in place of fuel tanks etc.

Tiger Tim

Harbour Air has a pretty unique niche and they really don’t use Beavers as one would expect. They run commuters around the Vancouver area so it’s all twenty minute hops in a fairly mild climate.

plncraze

HBA Supporter
Of they can succeed at this it will be a heck of a model for other short haul companies

AIRCAB

Just finished digging up a little more info, from a reputable Beaver rebuild on Van Isle. The picture is of a test shop, in the float base in Fraser River. They dialed back to 450HP for this hop. The official unveiling is for tomorrow. The Big issue coming up is Transport Canada has no regulations pertaining to power, other than internal combustion engines. STAY TUNED!

Steve

BJC

HBA Supporter
The day is coming when old guys will stand on a flight line with their great grandchild, look up, and say, “Back in my day, all small airplanes had internal combustion engines, made that noise, and had smoke systems for airshows”.

BJC

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
The day is coming when old guys will stand on a flight line with their great grandchild, look up, and say, “Back in my day, all small airplanes had internal combustion engines, made that noise, and had smoke systems for airshows”.
That day is coming faster than we might think. Very likely that some of those old curmudgeons may be us. ;)

Riggerrob

Post number 1 showed a "taxi test" Monday afternoon.
The official first flight was at dawn, Tuesday morning 2019 December 10. After a short flight, the yellow electric Beaver docked at the Flying Beaver Restaurant on the South Fork of the Fraser River where it flows past Sea Island. Sea Island is primarily occupied by Vancouver International Airport.
The Flying Beaver dock is where passengers catch connecting flights to Nanaimo Harbour, Seattle Harbour, Vancouver Harbour and Victoria Harbour.
Harbour Air operates the largest fleet of Beavers, Turbo Otters, Twin Otters, etc. - on floats - in Canada. Most flights are less than one hour and they bare the fastest way to get from the downtown core of one West Coast city to the downtown core of another Wet Coast city.
Several competitors also fly similar routes with Cessna Caravans.

BJC

HBA Supporter
That day is coming faster than we might think. Very likely that some of those old curmudgeons may be us. ;)
Yeah, I initially wrote “The day is coming when you old farts ...” then realized that I’m probably older than everyone else here except Pops and Rockiedog2, so I changed it.

BJC

Victor Bravo

T“Back in my day, all small airplanes had internal combustion engines, .
BJC
I can see it now... "When I was your age we had to put gasoline into these airplanes! We had to climb up a big ladder carrying a twenty pound hose, through the sleet and snow. We had to pull a big stick out of the engine and make sure it was filled with oil or else those engines would disintegrate! We had to take spark plugs out of the cylinders and sandblast them clean! You spoiled kids don't know how lucky you are... !"