Hangar Lighting

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

dviglierchio

Tried the search function and got a lot of other stuff....

Just moved into a new hangar and it has a couple ceiling fixtures that put out zip lighting. It's a county hangar so I can't do a much, if anything, to the wiring. Am thinking about using a couple of the 300 watt CFL's available at Home Depot so they can't complain about power use. But they would work so much better if there was a good reflector above to redirect the wasted light downward where it does some good. Can't find anything like this for under $$$$$.

I'm guessing many of you have had similar problems and solved them by now. Care to share......please.........!
Thank you and MERRY CHRISTMAS!

TahoeTim

I just wired up a hanger today here in Tahoe. www.facebook.com/winterselectric The owner is gonna love his new hanger. The far shot is from the runway!

Seriously, I am renting a County owner hanger myself. I hung two 8 ft fluorescent wraps and
"temp" wired them into the light sockets. Hang them up with ropes or even bungees.

The 300 watt lamps you propose will work pretty well without a reflector.

dviglierchio

Thanks Tim! How many tubes in each 8 footer? I can sure do that easy enough. Mine is just a common sized T-hangar.

I built a few homes in South Shore back in the 90's and remember the first time Rob did a garage for me and we put in 4 keylesses with 100 watt bulbs instead of the typical fluorescents I had been using. Lit the place up like an operating room for a change! But alas we much think about saving the planet here in California.....

Tom Nalevanko

How would 'they' know about power use? Is each hangar metered?

In the spirit of Christmas tales, my hangar-neighbor Harvey strung a couple of sets of white Christmas lights down the center of his hangar. Makes for a really great back-it-in aid...

Blue skies,

Tom

parkert51

If you need reflectors I am sure I could whip something together for little $. Hit me off list and we can discuss it. I built a hanger several years ago and powered it with solar panels. Used reasonably low power lights with reflectors of my own design. It worked very well.

Tom

dviglierchio

How would 'they' know about power use? Is each hangar metered?

In the spirit of Christmas tales, my hangar-neighbor Harvey strung a couple of sets of white Christmas lights down the center of his hangar. Makes for a really great back-it-in aid...

Blue skies,

Tom
Shame on you Tom, don't you know we are responsible for saving the whole world from California and out of our own pockets.......!
No, all are on a common meter. Just don't want the headaches when they drive by and see anything they can whine about. I like your neighbor's set up!
Will be interested in hearing how many 8' tubes give good lighting in a T-hangar before I start buying fixtures.

Tom Nalevanko

The hangar is your leasehold interest. No one from the airport admin can just drop in. They do have inspection rights but these are limited and must be pre-announced. My experience is that if the electrical enhancements are 'to code' the airport looks at these as a free improvement and never asks for removal. Or, when you abandon the hangar, the next person can waive his or her rights to removal, and they usually do.

We have a lot of tenants that put in a 3" concrete floor over a sheet of plastic. If the next person does not want it, the former tenant has to bust it up and remove. However the new tenants ALWAYS take the improvement.

Blue skies,

Tom

johnnyd

In my opinion......compact flourescents are the way to go. Look at the "color temperature" of the bulbs before you buy them. The bulbs will be rated in Kelvin units of color frequency.
Bulbs rated around 2500-3500 will provide a yellowish light. Those rated 5000-6500 give a bright white color, closer to normal daylight.
I have used the 150 watt bulbs in my workshop (30'x60' with 14' cielings) & have been quite happy with the results after I upgraded to the 6500* bulbs.

AND....if you move to another hanger, you just take them with you.

(it would probably help to paint the cieling white also)

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
The quick, easy, cheap answer is the cheap hanging shop lights available at Lowes, Home Depot, Menards, etc. Two T-32 4' flourescent bulbs in each, they sell for about ten bucks and have their own reflectors and chains to hang them from. Bulbs cost about $1-2 extra, and you can choose the color you prefer (daylight, soft white, etc). Each light has a plug and will consume about 75 watts. Buy a screw-in adapter for each present incandescent bulb socket that will then allow the shop light to plug in, then just hang this light from any convenient spot. They'll use less power than the bulb they replace, you'll get much more useable light, the bulbs can be replaced more cheaply than a CFL, and you can take everything with you when you leave.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Am thinking about using a couple of the 300 watt CFL's available at Home Depot
Went to Home Depot and asked about 300W CFL's and they looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language (OK, English might be considered a foreign language here in California :gig:).

Are those tubes or bulbs? Are they 300W actual or equivalent?

johnnyd

The big cfl's are not cheap. The last time I priced them, the 3oowatt bulbs were $160.00 each.
You can get the 105-150 watters for $18.00 to $25.00 each. (equivelant to 450watt incandesent)
The ones I have are spiral cfl's.
I ordered them off the internet.
They have been in operation for 4 years without problems.

skeeter_ca

If the ceiling is white or a light color it will help reduce shadowing by bouncing the light all around the hanger. If using bright enough bulbs no reflector should be necessary. I like the 300watt CFL's listed below. Nice and bright but will appear white in color even with their low kelvin. I only like the higher watt bulbs, 150w and higher, because the lower watt bulbs will appear yellowish and dim.

68-Watt (300W) Soft White CFL Light Bulb (1-Pack)-28968RP at The Home Depot

Also the reflector listed below is nice. Remove the front cover and it's very bright. It even has the stuff to hang it with.

65 Watt Fluorex Floodlight, Bronze-9266 at The Home Depot

johnnyd

Having had several "Lights of America" products,.....I will never buy another.
They burn out in very short order. It's not the bulbs that burn out, it's the circuitry. Unfortunately, you dont find that out until after you've bought a new replacement bulb.

Hot Wings

Grumpy Cynic
HBA Supporter
Log Member
In my opinion......compact flourescents are the way to go. Look at the "color temperature" of the bulbs before you buy them. The bulbs will be rated in Kelvin units of color frequency.

Down in your part of the world that would be my choice as well. Unfortunately when the temperature drops to the solid water range they just don't work. For some of us there is a reason to be stocking up on those evil global warming incandescent lights. :speechles

skeeter_ca

Having had several "Lights of America" products,.....I will never buy another.
They burn out in very short order. It's not the bulbs that burn out, it's the circuitry. Unfortunately, you dont find that out until after you've bought a new replacement bulb.
Sorry to hear about your LoA problems. I have only had one of them and i love it. It is still burning bright as ever after 8 yrs of use. And when i say 8 yrs, i mean 8 continous years, 24 hours a day this bulb has been burning. That equals to over 70,000 hrs of use. Maybe is works better because it is never turned off. This light is exposed to very high humidity and the cover lens has been removed the whole time. It is down underneath my aquarium inside an enclosed stand. I would think it would be easy to bypass the night sensor if not needed or it goes bad.

IMG_0627.jpgIMG_0629.jpg

revkev6

Down in your part of the world that would be my choice as well. Unfortunately when the temperature drops to the solid water range they just don't work. For some of us there is a reason to be stocking up on those evil global warming incandescent lights. :speechles
I used to keep a saltwater reef tank. all florescent lights suffer when it gets cold. for a cheap alternative to a reflector I have built hoods for custom tanks out of wood using flat white paint as a reflector. works very well.

johnnyd

OOP's......I've been living in the southern U S for so long that I take the warmer temperatures for granted.
The newer flourescents with the electronic balasts (both tube & cfl's) have a good reputation for lighting up quickly even in colder temps. They do however take a few minutes to come up to full brightness.
Again with the color thing......even the tube types can be had in different color ranges. It's usually marked right on the bulb.

Sorry that I can't help with other alternatives. My experiance is limited to incandescents and flourescents.
I will add one more thought.....since I've changed all my lighting to flourescents, I have noticed a $15.00 to $25.00 a month drop in my electric bill.