Hangar building

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Victor Bravo

The problem of a hangar (or other shelter) for your E-AB aircraft is a little simpler to solve than anyone thinks. You write YOUR OWN contract with the contractor.

The contract says that they get paid the "bid price" of X dollars for providing Y service by Z date. For every week that they complete the same Y job earlier than Z date, they are paid an extra $200 BONUS. For every week after Z that the Y job it is not complete they are paid $200 LESS than X.

Regardless of when the job is finished, if the job is not up to the standards detailed in the Y description, or it does not pass inspection, they lose 50% of X.

If they do not want to sign the contract, then you have saved yourself a huge headache because this (admittedly offensive) contract identified the contractors that knew they couldn't live up to the promised delivery... before they dragged you down the rabbit hole.

If they know that they can deliver on their promise, and they know what they're doing, they'll sign the contract, and you sit back and watch how fast it gets done so they can collect the bonus.

BJC

HBA Supporter

Pilot-34

Most of me is in IL but my hearts in Alaska
This is because they won't pay enough to make that kind of work desirable. If you can make the same money with an easier job, why wouldn't you? When I was in high school, lots of my classmates had parents who were manual laborers, and easily supported their families on those (often Union) wages. Not today. Same with flying. When I was starting out, planes rented for $14/hr, and the CFI was $20. Gas was about what it is now (this was during the mid 70's, so OPEC was playing price games). Look at what homebuilt airplanes were supposed to be buildable for. I've got old magazines that boasted of complete aircraft for under $2K. Using old VW power mostly, but whether wood, or tube and fabric (not many all metal), They were commonplace. The time frame for building was often years, both because of it being a hobby, and the suppliers not catering too much to "homebuilders". Now you can get quick build kits, all match hole drilled, and it can still take a long time to get parts and service. We tolerate it in aviation, but chafe at it in other areas of life.
Yeah there’s always gonna be people trying to convince you that Americans just won’t work and won’t do some certain job but I’ve got a good friend the digs graves for a living and a cousin that pumps poop out of peoples tanks.
Neighbor of mine clean hog barns
What do all three of them have in common ?they only make over $200 an hour.

tomz28

Just started putting together my oversized carport so to speak for my airplane Shelter at Lake City airport in Michigan. A 32 by 28' Versa Tube structure. A lot of screws! I should point what they don't tell you is the sore muscles you'll have after only a few hours lol. Looking forward to getting this done.
how is it going? lets see some update pictures!