Hangar building

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Doran Jaffas

Just started putting together my oversized carport so to speak for my airplane Shelter at Lake City airport in Michigan. A 32 by 28' Versa Tube structure. A lot of screws! I should point what they don't tell you is the sore muscles you'll have after only a few hours lol. Looking forward to getting this done.

Attachments

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
I Put money on a hanger condo 2+ years ago for a project to be completer 2 years ago (scheduled completion in 2 to three months from time of payment).

Escrow payment has disappeared.

Do not deal with NW Custom Hangers, Duane Wilcoxon.

He is currently selling hangars that he can not build as he has no land lease.

He is also selling hanger doors that are questionable.

If this post is against the HBA policy please remove it. I thought members should have a heads up warning. His web site paints an Angel of Aviation.

Pilot-34

Most of me is in IL but my hearts in Alaska
A lot of screws! I should point what they don't tell you is the sore muscles you'll have after only a few hours lol. Looking forward to getting this done.
When putting decks of semi trucks together by the time you pull axles and then cover the Holes where they have been you’ve screwed well over 60 nuts in AND out then you do the same with a 60 Lugnuts.

I assure you power tools will be your best friend!

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
If anyone is considering a custom built hangar in middle Tennessee close to Winchester, I highly recommend Mountain View Construction. Great people who do great work. It won't be quick though. We've learned since moving here that it's very unusual for any contractor here to show up on time or finish when promised. Mountain View was very good about that, but I can't say the same for the subcontractors. Went through the same thing when building our house. Whenever you mention contractors not showing up on time, or sometimes not at all, people just shrug their shoulders and say 'Oh well'. It's so normal that it's actually expected.

Also very highly recommend Higher Power Doors. The quality, workmanship, functionality and price are unbeatable.

My hangar just passed final inspection. I just have to paint before moving in.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Having the same problem with the septic system at the Cabin location. 4 weeks late now. Seems people today have no idea how to run a business.
Nothing Pi**es me off more. This is the second one. First one was the same. And they have no idea why they can't make any money. I need to get as much done before winter as possible.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
they’re making a living and if they’re happy with their business And they are giving their customers what they apparently expect and wantperhaps it’s you that has no idea how to run a business?
Not doing the job as agreeded is NOT what customers expect. Do you have a sore spot there ? Ran very successful businesses for many years. The secret of running a successful business in simple. Just treat your customers as you would want to be treated.

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
they’re making a living and if they’re happy with their business Isn’t that a success?
They aren't giving their customers what they want, and the customers are resigned to it because that's what they've come to expect here. For instance, we've had four contractors for our landscaping after our house was finished in the spring of 2020. The first was the contractor who built our house, but we had to let him go after he went way over schedule and way over budget, and then we had to spend several thousand additional dollars to fix some of the stuff he screwed up on the house, or never completed. In fact, we're still spending money over a year later to get that stuff done. Our second contractor came to do an assessment, agreed to do the work, and then never answered a call again. The third never showed up. Our fourth and current contractor has been working on it for 9 months, there are huge mounds of dirt and ponds of water all over the yard, and mowing practically injures your spine as much as you bounce and jerk around on the ruts. He's doing things, albeit very slowly, but that's more than what the previous contractors did, which is the only reason he's still our contractor. People here say that's pretty much normal for the area, but they aren't happy with it by any stretch of the imagination. They'd dearly love a viable alternative just as much as us. On the other side of the coin, we tried for 10 months, with numerous phone calls, to get someone to work on our generator because it wasn't installed the way we wanted. A new generator place opened in Nashville a couple of months ago, I filled out their internet form, and they called the next day. Our generator is now fixed, only a few weeks after contacting those folks. Thank God my hangar construction went better than that. It took a lot longer than it should have, but it went well, especially in regards to the primary contractor.

EDIT: Edited because Pilot-34 and I realized we didn't need to be personal.

Last edited:

Pilot-34

I guess I kind of visualize it like a French restaurant in France.
The service is very slow and the wait staff is rude but they make a lot of money at it so obviously the business is successful.
It’s just not everything the customers want or perhaps it is.

I’ve seen businesses like you described go on for years sometimes generations. Surely at some level they are successful?

Not every business operates on the principle the customer is always right.

Pilot-34

I have an acquaintance who has started several successful business by any means of accounting.

Is his customer service always Sterling? Nope. Is his selection deep or unique? Nope.
He claims the key to a successful business on any level is simply to open the doors.

Think about it I’m sure in your lifetime you’ve dealt with many businesses where you thought how does this place stay in business?

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
Yeah, but the French are rude from the outset, right in your face. They don't make smiling promises and then ignore them completely. I've seen some local contractors just fold and then come back under a new name, and I've only lived here a year and a half. What really gets me is why some of them don't realize the incredibly loyal following they'd get if they just lived up to their promises. There's a lot of word of mouth stuff about contractors around here. Good recommendations from customers should get much wider dissemination in an environment like this, but sadly they often don't.

...Think about it I’m sure in your lifetime you’ve dealt with many businesses where you thought how does this place stay in business?
And most of them don't.