• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Hangar build - ideas?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hephaestus

Trying to nail down my ideas and come up with a final plan... And we need a hangar thread ;)

Doors - my option seems to be pair of 20x14s with a sliding center mullion (post with the 2 tracks on it you manually move from center of opening). The 40x16 clamshell or bifold the builder prefers. And sadly my budget doesn't allow for that fancy fabric venetian blind like door. And it would blow my whole hangar budget on one door.

Are there others?

I'm actually doing a standard dock and truck door as well. As there's no need to let all the heat out in winter to bring material in.

Kinda torn - in theory this is temporary hangar, but we know how that goes. So I'm struggling with build it cheap vs nice and hope to not take a bath (should be ok, renting parking at the tie down rate I'd be ok).

Going 75x75', that's all the lot fits, but I could do an office "addition" of 20'x<=75' - which I'd just use as shop space for the dirtier work (and beer consumption). That kinda goes back to above cheap vs nicer - but totally depends on market at the time of sale. $/sqft for it with the hangar - it's cheap enough...

Concrete wise - is the fiberglass strand or steel wires worth it? The stuff they toss in the mix - in addition to rebar. I'm leaning to yes, I hate cracks (yes it will be sawcut I know). I was planning a coating - but the better floor paint companies around don't want to coat for 6 months?

CNG radiant heaters is in the plan, talking about some upper windows or polycarbonate sheeting near the eaves for natural light.

Trying to find out what power options are, waiting a week now for the utility to come look... :Hammer: really? You don't know what's available? I want 3ph not sure if I can have it though, neighboring buildings are 1ph.

Anything you guys wish you'd done or saved $ on?

Back