Half VW Static Thrust

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

zipperdu

Hi guys,
I have a Loehle Sport Parasol that I've flown on the Rotax 447, I am not really happy with the 2stroke (I like engines that have oil pressure gauges! It gives me one more thing to look at during flight) anyway I was looking at the Hummel engine, I think it looks pretty good but I have some concerns about the power available with this engine. The airplane is pretty draggy and I fly in the desert where the density altitude can get 5-6thousand easly. Is there any " real world" experance out there with this engine and more importantly that smaller 54 in dia prop.
Thanks, Jon

Pops

Log Member
Hi guys,
I have a Loehle Sport Parasol that I've flown on the Rotax 447, I am not really happy with the 2stroke (I like engines that have oil pressure gauges! It gives me one more thing to look at during flight) anyway I was looking at the Hummel engine, I think it looks pretty good but I have some concerns about the power available with this engine. The airplane is pretty draggy and I fly in the desert where the density altitude can get 5-6thousand easly. Is there any " real world" experance out there with this engine and more importantly that smaller 54 in dia prop.
Thanks, Jon

All I can tell you is about a friend of mine with a 1/2 VW in a Fisher Koala 202 that routinely flew it cross country at 5-6 thousand feet for a good tailwind and has had it to 10K. Dan

zipperdu

Thanks Dan,
My main concern was take off performance at a 5 or 6000 ft density altitude. The current prop is a 60 and I think the vw uses 54 or so.

Jon

TFF

Go join the Legal Eagle board. Same type of plane, but will have a 1/2 VW. See how the owners deal with it.

Pops

Log Member
Thanks Dan,
My main concern was take off performance at a 5 or 6000 ft density altitude. The current prop is a 60 and I think the vw uses 54 or so.

Jon
My friend had a 54"x 26" prop on his 1/2 VW that was on the Fisher Koala 202. I use a Culver 60" x 26 prop on my 1835 cc, 60 HP, 4 cylinder VW engine. Dan