• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Half VW Balancing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

12notes

Supporting Member
I have a 35hp Global engine, I have ran it briefly with the prop it came with it along with a random assortment of bolts and washers holding it on. It shook badly, but it had no hope of being in balance with 3 bolts of correct length and 3 bolts each of different lengths with different numbers of washers. However, it did not come with an external counterweight to go on the prop side, as I've seen other 1/2 VWs have. I know some Globals were balanced and some were not. Is there an easy way to tell if the crankshaft is balanced? Is there a way to balance it along with the prop to correct any out of balance conditions, or do I need to have the engine balanced initially?

I know I can ship it to Scott Cassler at Hummel Engines in Arizona for balancing, but shipping will be fairly expensive to do so from Louisville, KY. Is there anyone East of the Mississippi who can balance a half VW?

Back