Quantcast

Guy photos prop separating inflight.

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

choppergirl

Banned
Lol, no need to post optical illusion ones, when it happens for real. Here is the prop fall off video that made me groan and say "Great, yet another thing I have to worry about..."

Last edited by a moderator:

StarJar

Lol, no need to post optical illusion ones, when it happens for real. Here is the prop fall off video that made me groan and say "Great, yet another thing I have to worry about..."
That wasn't good! :cry:

But I think my Facebook one is real too. I looked into it a little bit. I realize the odds are 1 in a zillion. The guy is 'friends' with my cousin. He's an older guy with tons of pics on Facebook, through airliner windows.

choppergirl

Banned
Nope, its not real, in fact he admits so in his post. All you have to do is watch this video I included a link to in my original post to see the illusion in real time:

The more dangerous illusions, are the ones where your bodies senses are telling you one thing is happening, when the complete opposite is happening... like with balance and movement and your inner ear... and you respond based on what your senses tell you with corrective action, but it makes things even worse. We become accustum to believing our senses 100% of the time, because typically they are... until they aren't:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensory_illusions_in_aviation

Another example is your body often tells you you are hungry, when you are actually thirsty. This leads to some people over eating.

Or if you are diabetic, your body will tell you you are tired and fatigued and need to sleep, when the reality is your blood sugar is low and you need to eat. Sleeping will not cure the problem and by delaying eating further, will make the problem worse.

StarJar

Nope, its not real, in fact he admits so in his post. All you have to do is watch this video I included a link to in my original post to see the illusionbL in real time:

[video=youtube;D3xpEQnizMg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3xpEQnizMg[/video]

:)

The more dangerous illusions, are the ones where your bodies senses are telling you one thing is happening, when the complete opposite is happening... like with balance and movement and your inner ear. We become acustum to believing our senses 100% of the time, because typically they are... until they aren't:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensory_illusions_in_aviation
I get it. You're right. Thanks. I was wondering W T H-ll !?

Daleandee

While it didn't happen in flight ... here's what a prop looks like when it falls off:

[video]https://youtu.be/2F413qW8X3Q?t=275[/video]

If you watch the video the pilot was about to take off but something seemed wrong. Great idea to pay attenwhen the hair is standing up on the back of your neck ...

Dale Williams
N319WF @ 6J2
Myunn - "daughter of Cleanex"
120 HP - 3.0 Corvair
Tail Wheel - Center Stick
Signature Finish 2200 Paint Job
120.6 hours / Status - Flying

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
So the Sonex engine just has the small VW front bearing?
Looks like he had a composite Sensenich prop. Usually they recommend wood for VW.

Aerowerx

It is a stroboscopic effect from using a digital camera.

If you read the foot note on the facebook post, he even says that himself!

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
All you have to do is watch this video I included a link to in my original post to see the illusion in real time:

[video=youtube;D3xpEQnizMg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3xpEQnizMg[/video]
Wow, I counted 33 blades it shed during the video! Amazing that they survived.

While it didn't happen in flight ... here's what a prop looks like when it falls off:

[video]https://youtu.be/2F413qW8X3Q?t=275[/video]

If you watch the video the pilot was about to take off but something seemed wrong. Great idea to pay attenwhen the hair is standing up on the back of your neck ...
I find the whole story posted a little odd. If Aerovees are as horrible as this guy alleges, how come they're not falling out of the sky all over?

• He admits he used a sealant for the case halves not specified by the factory
  • He doesn't say what type of spark plug he installed that failed
  • He alleges that Aeroconversions diesn't know what the correct timing of their own engine is
  • Why should we believe he put the engine together properly?

And, after all, "Jeeremy," as he's called in the video, can't exactly defend himself.

On the bright side,this video reminded me of another great moment in film history:
JsSBRKn.jpg

So the Sonex engine just has the small VW front bearing?
If by "front bearing" you mean "rear bearing," as in pulley end, yes; just as the vast majority of VW conversions have.

Looks like he had a composite Sensenich prop. Usually they recommend wood for VW.
Please review the props recommended by Sonex/Aeroconversions, and bear in mind that the "composite" prop is a wood prop with a composite covering. Whatever the cause of this crankshaft failure was, it is extremely unlikely that the prop was it. I rather suspect the builder (since there are many Aerovee builders who have not had a similar experience).

Daleandee

I find the whole story posted a little odd. If Aerovees are as horrible as this guy alleges, how come they're not falling out of the sky all over?
Certainly not my intent to turn this into an "Aerovee crankshaft debate" but to give you my take on it. There were a few failures of the original early crankshaft/shrink fit prop hubs used on the Aerovee. Most were blamed on incorrect assembly by the builder and at least one on low oil pressure. Jeremy pointed out that, according to their records, no factory assembled original crank/hub assembly had ever failed and none of the new design units had ever failed whether factory or customer assembled. My first Sonex had the original crank/hub set up and I flew it 175 hours before selling it and building my Corvair powered tail dragger.

Now we have the Aerovee using the newer crankshaft and shrink fit hub on engines rated at 100 HP with the turbo units installed and there have been no reported failures that I'm aware of. Still, I think that if I were to use a big bore VW again (great engines for aircraft) and was asking 80-100 HP from it ... I would want a 4th bearing on the nose unless I was using the drive end for the prop.

Dale
N319WF

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
Please review the props recommended by Sonex/Aeroconversions, and bear in mind that the "composite" prop is a wood prop with a composite covering. Whatever the cause of this crankshaft failure was, it is extremely unlikely that the prop was it. I rather suspect the builder (since there are many Aerovee builders who have not had a similar experience).
The black Sensenich props that I have seen are hollow carbon fiber, no wood core.
Of course I don't know what that prop is made of from the video, I was just making a comment in general based on the video. I think Great Plains does not approve of composite props on their products. I don't know about Sonex, could not find anything in the 60 page Sonex engine manual.
The manual say apply a case flange sealant, apply sparingly (shows blue)
The video shows he applied blue sealant, but very thickly.

Last edited:

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
The black Sensenich props that I have seen are hollow carbon fiber, no wood core.
From Sonex -- The Sport Aircraft Reality Check!:

Sonex also recommends using fixed-pitch wood or wood core with composite coating. These props are a light-weight, reliable, and affordable option for your Sonex Aircraft.

Wood props are offered with a Natural Wood Finish with Red Safety Stripes at prop tips, and Matte Black finish on back of propeller.

Composite Coated, or "glass" props are available in:

Black with Matte Black finish on back of propeller.
Gray with Matte Black finish on back of propeller.
White with Red Safety Stripes at prop tips and Matte Black finish on back of propeller.