• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Gusseted aluminum tubing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thunderchook

Hi all,

So, there are a few different ways of building a fuselage.
Wood I hate. (We just don't get along!)
Welded Chromoly is good but hard to source (down here, I'm told) and quite expensive, especially given I'd need to pay a certified welder to do the job.
Riveted sheetmetal aluminum - quite involved and requires some special sheetmetal tools which are large and quite expensive.
But gusseted aluminum tubing - that I can do.

Question is, though: What are the drawbacks of this construction technique?
I had read on another site that gusseted aluminum can, due to vibrational stresses etc, have a limited airframe life. (One site said approx. 300 hours - is this true?)
How does its overall strength compare to other methods?

I am told that welding aluminum actually weakens the strength of the metal but it can, using various methods, be brought back to strength but this is expensive.
How does a welded aluminum frame compare to a gusseted aluminum frame?

Also, I am wondering if there is nothing that can be done to reinforce a gusseted joint and/or provide dampening to lessen the effects of vibration?

Can anyone clue me in on this?

Thanks,

Thunderhook.

Back