• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Guidelines for placement of yarn strips on wing for airflow/stall study ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gregory Perkins

I am helping a buddy with a newly built low wing Rans RV9 that stalls about 70 mph.

I want to tape some yarn strips on top of the wing so that we can observe stall progression and
development as well as Best L/D AOA flying etc. I was going to tape them all in a straight line but then considered that several previous yarns pieces could affect the airflow to the following yarn placements.

I normally opt for AOA vane indicators for this kind of study but buddy doesnt want to stick anything else to the wings.

Any tips or pointers or instructions for yarn placement would be appreciated

Back