Quantcast

GTD-350 Turbo Shaft/Turboprop Engine

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

whiteknight

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am looking for specific and useful information on the PZL/Sikorsky Isotov GTD-350 Turbo Shaft/Turboprop engine. I understand that one of these will produce 400 Shaft Horsepower, while weighing in at 298 pounds dry. Length is 54 inches, diameter 24 inches. What could the TBO be reasonably expected to be? What would be the fuel consumption rate? RPM levels? What maintenance would it require? Have any of these been used in experimental or homebuilt aircraft in the US or elsewhere? I look forward to reading your responses.

Thank you,

Sincerely and Respectfully,

whiteknight

P.S. Please do not laugh me out or think me crazy.

TFF

It is amazing that they designed a RR250! Wonder how they did that? http://www.enginehistory.org/Museums/SovietGasTurbines/GTD-350_03.jpg

The question is not can you make it work but can you get a good one.
Many Russian engines were designed as one use only and are not rebuildable unless you can make parts. Sense it is a RR copy a guess would be fuel about 30gal an hour, and output rpm about 6000 rpm. You would need a reduction gearbox just like the RR250 prop engines.

whiteknight

So, what could the TBO be reasonably expected to be? How can you tell if one turboprop engine is serviceable or if it is used up? Do turboprops tend to go out abruptly or softly over time?

I see that the Allison M-250 was used in both rotery wing and turboprop configurations.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allison_Model_250
If the money issue were set aside, would an Allison M-250 be appropriate on a home built application?
Was the GTD-350 used as a turboprop? What other applications were there for it other than in the Mi-2 helicopter? If so then what was the reduction ratio?

I appreciate all input, but honestly, I am looking for more than a Sneer agents the Soviets. I am looking for a technological means to an end.

Sincerely,

whiteknight

TFF

If money was not a concern it would be a great engine. The problem is money. A Cessna 210 or Bonanza conversion to a RR 250 is about $400K. Unless it is a new Bonanza, the conversion is 3-4 times the value of the plane.

Buy this GTD SALES Even if you got the engine, it would cost a fortune to build a gearbox to make it a prop. Walters are "cheap" $20K will get you a used turboprop

General electric bought GTD so who know what will happen to the line.

The engine was not a total copy; they put the accessories on the wrong side of the engine. Surprise that all the Iranian Bell helicopters are not flying with them.

9aplus

PZL Reszow in Poland was before nice source of brand new upgraded engines. After take over no more, and 350 line is scraped.
Seconf hand engine can be purchased cheap in Poland, even some local shops can do MOH, but papers are another story.

whiteknight

Can you by chance please tell me what other applications there were for this engine other than in the MI-2 helicopter? Were there any specific turboprop applications that you are aware of? Do you know if there was a gear box designed for it that would be used for a turboprop application...that could be imported?

Sincerely and Respectfully Submitted,

whiteknight

PZL Reszow in Poland was before nice source of brand new upgraded engines. After take over no more, and 350 line is scraped.
Seconf hand engine can be purchased cheap in Poland, even some local shops can do MOH, but papers are another story.