• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

GS Antenna

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
My bird is fiberglass and so the NAV and COM antennas are copper tape with ferrite toroid baluns and are inside my airplane exactly as RST Engineering and Jim Wier say to do them. With a bunch of airplanes out there flying with these guys, I am pretty confident these will work.

Where I have a little worry is for the glide slope antenna. While the 1/4 wave dipole NAV antenna is a pretty good 3/4 wave antenna for glide slope, the issue is getting the Glide Slope signal decoupled from the NAV signal. In RST Engineering's publications, Jim shows us a splitter for getting two NAV signals from one NAV antenna plus a 10 pF capacitor to split off the GS signal.

So, first set of questions: Have any of you used this Hybrid NAV and GS splitter? How well does it work? Does it have adequate range? Does it avoid interfering with the NAV signal OK?

I have two NAV antenna, so I do not need the splitter function nor do I want the range reduction they cause in my NAV system. This brings up the possibility of just using the 10 pF capacitor to split off the GS signal. So I have second set of questions: Have any of you used just the GS splitter on a single NAV antenna without the NAV signal splitter? How well does that work? Does it have adequate range? Does it avoid interfering with the NAV signal OK?

Thanks!

Billski

Last edited:
Back