• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Gross weight increases for 'stretched' aircraft

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RVC

Stretching the fuselage for additional stability is common when extending the wingspan. Perhaps I should have stated it is mandatory. The end result carries a higher gross weight rating. Testing the aircraft must be involved to substantiate this upon completion of the project. Stretched Pacer's are a common example of this. I think some would also argue that many of the WWII tail dragger aircraft carry the label 'close coupled' and would benefit from increasing the length of the fuselage even in the absence of a wingspan extension being implemented with it.

For the time being, I am making a project of analyzing slightly smaller aircraft than I have been considering to determine if they pose a feasible project for me to follow through with using similar idea's for aircraft with 1500 - 1650 gross weight.

I'm thinking about using either the 32'-11" Maule M-6 wing or the longer 33'-6" M-7 wing because these also use the US-35B airfoil so they would interface with a stretched Piper fuselage fairly well (i.e., PA-16 Clipper, etc.). The Maule's have length's of ~23'-6" so my initial estimate might be to short. The stretched Pacer's are 22'-6" in length.

In summary, you get a stronger, longer wing with a longer fuselage. What would you expect for gross weight? Why hasn't anyone built one of these before?

Back