• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Gross Design Modifications

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Othman

As a new comer to this forum, I spent a little time browsing the previous posts and came across a few “scary” threads. One in particular, that was an eye opener for me, was about making some major mods to an afordaplane (in the light stuff category) and asking the question “is it strong enough?”

Here is my reply to the posting:

I do not advise anyone to undertake such huge changes to kit designs without consulting the original designer or someone who is capable of doing a propper analysis (i.e. engineer).

The question "will it be strong enough?", especially when it comes to the suggested design mods, cannot be resonsibly[/I] answered without a lot of detailed work. You need to know what the loads are before you can even begin to answer questions about strength.

For your own safety, and for the protection of the homebuilt community image, please exercise due diligence with all of your projects and be responsible.

I didn’t write that to criticize or offend anyone. I simply want to help promote safety within the aviation community. If we practice the hobby (career for some) safely and responsibly, then we will obviously make more headway in the promotion of our case when it comes to the governing bodies (and therefore not get hammered with increasing legislations!).

Perhaps some of the more senior/experienced members of this forum can comment on this topic and maybe make some suggestions.

Thanks

Back