Great plane name

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

blane.c

HBA Supporter
I also have a bunch of pictures many with tape-measure like these Fritz posted of the only VP-3 fuselage. If you don't already have them and want them I'll send the rest.

Picture2.jpgPicture4.jpg

blane.c

HBA Supporter
I think the ideal engine for the VP-3 is the D-Motor. Virtually same weight as VW but 1/2 again as much power, of course about 3 1/2 times the cost too.

ScaleBirdsScott

The 5V is not currently in production but the 5Si still is, and was still a lighter installation than the VW that was on my father's Fisher Avenger, so still may be a valid option.

blane.c

HBA Supporter
The VP-2 from what I have read on it seems woefully underpowered with any of the VW powerplants no matter how many cc's you have you are still temperature limited (even 2400cc is 147ci) . Sure it will fly yada yada. It has much better reports with the Corvair engine conversions the old adage there is no substitute for cubic inches. The Verner would be lighter and with the Corvair being 164ci or 190ci-200ci depending on the model and the Verner 207ci the Verner seems a good candidate. The VP-3 was intended to be a more streamlined and somewhat faster version than its predecessors and it is unlikely the radial would cowl-up as cleanly as an opposed 4 so the D-Motor especially the 3900cc 238ci would be a choice of course if you like the Bearcat look ... .

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
so the D-Motor especially the 3900cc 238ci would be a choice of course if you like the Bearcat look ... .
With the radiator, etc the DF39 will be about 40-50 lbs heavier than a VW Type 1. Yes, more power (and enough higher in price to double the cost of the project). Most VP projects do not need more weight.

blane.c

HBA Supporter
Are any of the actual models still around?

Last edited: