Grand Spree R

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
It is a nice looking plane. He's calling it an ultralight, while noting it's a bit overweight... no more than many other so-called "ultralights", though.

Dana

Tiger Tim

Ultralight or not, I thought it was a neat little airplane. Actually, my jaw kind of hit the floor when I saw this guy built almost exactly one of the planes that's on my "Hopefully some day" list.

FritzW

Log Member
I think it's just a beautificated Ultra Crusier. Look at the bulkhead behind the seat.

grandspree (6).JPG Cropped UC 249.jpg

lake_harley

I had the pleasure of talking on the phone with the builder of the Grand Spree/Ultracruiser a few years ago. I wouldn't say it's "just a beautificated Ultra Crusier", but it is beautiful! What I recall of the conversation was very much the same as what he said in the you-tube interview.

Lynn

Last edited:

FritzW

Log Member
...geeze
"beautificated" isn't a derogatory term, it's a compliment. If wish I could beautificate an airplane like that.

lake_harley

FritzW....I wasn't questioning or criticizing the use of "beautificated". I had made note of using the word "just", by putting it in italics. I wasn't trying to stir the pot. I'm with you, wishing I could beautificate an airplane like that too! My best efforts to build something really nice end up merely being "presentable", at best.

Lynn

FritzW

Log Member
"just" was a poor choice of words on my part. I didn't mean it as "...all the guy did was slap some fiberglass on an Ultra Cruiser". I meant it as "an airplane like that is within reach of a guy like me because a whole bunch of the work has already done"

To make the Grand Spree R out of a Hummel Bird was a very clever idea and obviously a huge undertaking. That's why I used a silly word like "beautificated", it was meant to imply that he did far more than just "doll up" an Ultra Cruiser.