Grand Rapids vs Dynon Avionics

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

EFIS preference

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lucrum

Log Member
I'm interested in experience based opinions on Grand Rapids vs Dynon avionics in general and EFIS panels in particular.

Toobuilder

Log Member
"experience based opinion": I have flown for many years behind GRT and never seen a glitch. I have flown behind Dynon for several years and experienced a hard failure that almost killed me. When I buy again it will likely be Garmin.

gtae07

I have only flown behind Dynon. I found the "classic" non-HDX Skyview system very intuitive the first time I tried it. I've played with AFS and Garmin at OSH before;both were less intuitive to me but that's only a demo setup.

Tantrum1

Log Member
I think it really depends on the type of aircraft that the equipment is being installed in and what your "mission" is of the aircraft. I've used both, and both are nice, but for me so far my favorite is the Glance EFIS system.

blane.c

HBA Supporter
"experience based opinion": I have flown for many years behind GRT and never seen a glitch. I have flown behind Dynon for several years and experienced a hard failure that almost killed me. When I buy again it will likely be Garmin.
Could you provide some more information about the failure?

Toobuilder

Log Member
Blane-

The screen backlight in my D10A failed. Though I was much later able to determine the unit was still functional, the effect was a useless black screen.

If you have access to the October 2015 Kitplanes you can read about it in the Error Chain article I wrote.

Latest posts

Group Builder