Graham Lee Beamcraft I and II, Circa Reproductions Beamer I and II???

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Does anyone know if the Graham Lee BeamCraft/Beamers ever actually got flown/flight tested? Mnay years ago I got a copy of a set of drawings for something called a "Beancraft II" that has a set of sparse building guidelines that has Graham Lee's name at the bottom. Very interesting minimal, sit-on, pusher biplane with a high mounted horizontal stab that appears to be unbraced in any way.
Any information would be appreciated.
1649427456601.png

karmarepair

There are some pictures of one under construction here GALLERY | nieuports (scroll down) and plans are available.

Their web site is somewhat of a mess, and Graham's son and granddaughter who run the business know exactly nothing about the airplanes themselves, but they are pleasant to do business with.

Thank you! I spent quite a while on the site and had a major difficulty navigating it! I did try to use their contact form to ask further. No reply yet. I do not own any of Graham's other plans so have no idea how similar or different the wing design is.

TLW

I built and fly a beamcraft biplane. Although the plans do not show it the tail required cable bracing. The plans were really not totally complete, so I did a little adapting from other designs. I'm not sure but I think Graham Lee may have passed away without finalizing some aspects of the design. I remember the beamcraft designs were created for an intenet group that was all about building a plane for 5000 dollars, with much discussion about 4 stroke industrial engines.

GeeZee

TLW, thanks for coming on board HBA and thanks for sharing info about the Beamcraft. Do you have any photos you could share? There’s a “project log“ forum that you could just dump construction photos into. I have the Nieuport plans and I’m also interested to see how similar they are to the beamcraft wings.

I built and fly a beamcraft biplane. Although the plans do not show it the tail required cable bracing. The plans were really not totally complete, so I did a little adapting from other designs. I'm not sure but I think Graham Lee may have passed away without finalizing some aspects of the design. I remember the beamcraft designs were created for an intenet group that was all about building a plane for 5000 dollars, with much discussion about 4 stroke industrial engines.
Do you or anyone have any working email for the Lee heirs? I want to buy plans for the beamcraft biplane but have not gotten any response.

GeeZee

When I ordered my Nieuport plans I just ordered through the website. I never did actually correspond with anyone. It did take a while, seems like 4-5 weeks. I wondered if they just make copies in batches so might wait until they get several orders to head to the copy center? If that’s the case several of us should order beamcraft plans at once….
edit: OK I did my part, I just order Beamcraft II plans $39 +$25 shipping.

Last edited:

GeeZee

Update, I received the Beamcraft plans on the 23rd so 20 days from order to having them in my hands. Actually I received both the Beamcraft I and II. Mike Lee’s son sent Beamcraft I plans by mistake. Mike said just to keep them. The Beamcraft II plans consist of approximately 48 8 1/2 x 11 pages. If you are planning to build the Beamcraft I you should probably get the II plans as well. They have more construction details.
There are some interesting construction details. I’ll probably not build one but I’m glad I have the plans to study.

Bill-Higdon

Update, I received the Beamcraft plans on the 23rd so 20 days from order to having them in my hands. Actually I received both the Beamcraft I and II. Mike Lee’s son sent Beamcraft I plans by mistake. Mike said just to keep them. The Beamcraft II plans consist of approximately 48 8 1/2 x 11 pages. If you are planning to build the Beamcraft I you should probably get the II plans as well. They have more construction details.
There are some interesting construction details. I’ll probably not build one but I’m glad I have the plans to study.
IIRC Graham said the Beamcraft 1 AKA ONW was based on an earlier design of his which was put in commercial production up north

I also received both ONW and TNW plan sets this week. Ordered May 3rd. came coil bound 8.5x11 via UPS. very expensive shipping and both packages mistreated badly by UPS! However I agree that while not likely to build (primarily because it seems tail stiffness might be marginal?) they are very interesting build concepts.
The ONW plans were printed both sides and randomly duplicated! First thing I did was to scan them and sort so they make more sense. The TNW were printed single side and not duplicated.
I thought about buying nieuport plans as well so that I could see what Graham had done that was wildly successful but decided against it since the shipping cost is ridiculous (and they would not even consider combining shipments)! Was that a mistake? Should I buy them as well? If so, which one is more successful in terms of units flying?

Bill-Higdon

I also received both ONW and TNW plan sets this week. Ordered May 3rd. came coil bound 8.5x11 via UPS. very expensive shipping and both packages mistreated badly by UPS! However I agree that while not likely to build (primarily because it seems tail stiffness might be marginal?) they are very interesting build concepts.
The ONW plans were printed both sides and randomly duplicated! First thing I did was to scan them and sort so they make more sense. The TNW were printed single side and not duplicated.
I thought about buying nieuport plans as well so that I could see what Graham had done that was wildly successful but decided against it since the shipping cost is ridiculous (and they would not even consider combining shipments)! Was that a mistake? Should I buy them as well? If so, which one is more successful in terms of units flying?
Lots of Nieuports flying, my local chapter built 14 of them about 20 years ago they had a lot of fun. Some of them were in France for Centennial Vimy Ridge Day flyover AC flyover at 100th Anniversary of Vimy Ridge

Whats the Difference between the ONW and the TNW? Also, has anyone seen or heard of a Miranda being built or flying? Photos would do my heart good.
Thanks
Alan

GeeZee

The ONW is a monoplane that can be built as a low, mid or high wing. The TNW is the biplane version. My ONW plans had a lot of duplicate pages as well. I also have the Nieuport 11 plans and they are much more complete. I believe I could build an aircraft from them. The ONW/TNW not so much (at least for a first time builder).

RJW

I ordered plans a couple days ago. I don't normally buy plans. The Beamers look interesting. It would be nice to hear more about how they fly.

Rob