GPS track file output? Flight analysis software

Discussion in 'Instruments / Avionics / Electrical System' started by Dana, Oct 30, 2018.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Oct 30, 2018 #1

Dana

Dana

Dana

Question for owners of "real" aviation GPS's: Are these units capable of outputting a track file in .gpx (or other) format?

I ask because I'm working on an app (windows) to load, display, and analyze such a file for flight testing purposes. Up until now I've been using GPLIGC which is a great program that does most of what I want, but it's not very user friendly (especially the install!) and has a lot of features I don't need that are primarily aimed at sailplane pilots.

So far I've been mostly using tracks generated by an old Garmin 60Csx, a non aviation handheld that has a built in pressure sensor, so the altitude information is more accurate than a straight GPS.

2. Nov 1, 2018 #2

Tantrum1

Tantrum1

Tantrum1

What Avionics are you running? Theres a cool website that shows DIY avionic and one of the things they have is a DIY FDR which will give you that information provided you it integrates with your avionics. Mine runs the same system (CAN Bus) as mine so I'm building one. Just ordering the parts now.

3. Nov 1, 2018 #3

Dana

Dana

Dana

I personally use no avionics other than a com radio. I use an android tablet with Avare for navigation if I'm going cross country, and the Garmin handheld I mentioned above if I want a more accurate track. My question was because I'd like to make the program capable of working with a wider range of devices should I choose to market it.

Right now I have the program mostly working with .gpx files, .kml is next. The main functionality is to display the track in top (map) and profile views and provide performance data (e.g. speed, climb rate, etc.) for a selected range. It can also calculate true airspeed if the appropriate track is flown at a constant indicated airspeed in a steady wind (for calibrating an airspeed indicator). Still a lot of work to be done on the interface, error checking, etc., if I want to make it public.

Capture.jpg

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    fly2kads likes this.
  4. Nov 1, 2018 #4

Jerry Lytle

Jerry Lytle

Jerry Lytle

My hand held GPS is fool proof, it will always get me to the scene of the crash.

5. Nov 9, 2018 #5

proppastie

proppastie

proppastie

If it works and is simple to use and why do you want to change? My Apollo GX60...no, My Garmin 196 handheld....I do not think so, never checked. Perhaps the new ADS-B OUT with another IN unit and software....lots of those out there all blue-toothed to a tablet...probably hope there.

http://flywithsentry.com/

6. Nov 9, 2018 #6

Dana

Dana

Dana

If what works? For software, GPLIGC works but as I said it's kludgy. You need a separate program (G7toWin) to download the track from the GPS and save it as an IGC trackfile, then load it into GPLIGC, which requires Perl to be installed. And it doesn't do wind/TAS calculation like mine does.

As far as the GPS, I use the handheld with the pressure sensor when I want an accurate elevation profile, but I don't bring it with me unless I need it. But I always have my phone, which can record a track. Avare can record a .kml file, but the format is wonky. I found another simple logging program that can record a good gpx file, though.

I now know some of the aviation Garmins (e.g. G1000) have an SD card slot which records a .csv file which some other programs can read or convert, and I believe Foreflight (istuff only) can record .kml files. I'd like to see kml files recorded by a different Garmin or Foreflight to see what their format is.

7. Nov 9, 2018 #7

proppastie

proppastie

proppastie

I misunderstood..... I somehow though you wanted only for flight testing and were not going to market it.

The fancy Garmins will data-log, the FAA uses the cards in accident investigations.