GPS kneeboard

Discussion in 'Instruments / Avionics / Electrical System' started by johndoe31533, May 3, 2007.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. May 3, 2007 #1

johndoe31533

johndoe31533

johndoe31533

I'm trying to find a way to locate a Garmin 96C on my leg. The yoke mount is great as long as you have one. If you fly a stick there's no where to put the GPS. I found some kneeboards that will work with horizontal unit's but the 96C is vertical. I have an awsome USAF issue kneeboard on the right leg and thinking about putting the GPS on the left. I have went the home builder way and made my own. I used a marine hard mount that I attatched to a plate. The plate has elastic strap's that hug my thigh. It works but needs to be "stream lined" and I get the weirdest looks from the other pilots. I take the GPS on every flight (biggest fear is being lost near TFR) but need some suggestions on a mount. Any idea's?

2. May 3, 2007 #2

Rhino

Rhino

Rhino

3. May 3, 2007 #3

Rhino

Rhino

Rhino

4. May 4, 2007 #4

Craig

Craig

Craig

Having a tube-frame airplane, I just used some cushion clamps and mounted my 96 on the left side above my thigh. Had to learn to use the buttons differently, but it works well. Slightly tilted towards me, and it is plugged into the power and antenna - which is under the top of the turtle deck.

5. May 4, 2007 #5

jgnunn

jgnunn

jgnunn

6. May 6, 2007 #6

wally

wally

wally

when I had my ultralight (wide open cockpit) I made a simple support that strapped to my leg. I made it from a piece of curved aluminum against my leg and a couple of scraps of wood to cradle the GPS. I got fancy and made it adjustable - it could turn and tilt for easy viewing. It was a fun little project and didn't take but about a day playing around to make it. It turned out really comfortable and handy to use. I didn't worry a bit if anyone thought it looked homemade or funny. It did what I wanted it do do and did it well.

Hey, this gives me an idea to make another one for my open cockpit Pitts! I have been thinking about a place to mount mine.
    Thanks!
    Wally