GP-5

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

rv6ejguy

akwrencher

HBA Supporter
That is one beautiful airplane. Gives new meaning to "climbs like a homesick angel" Thanks for posting.

delta

Looks like he might have given a Me-163 a run for the money. I'm sorry that angel got homesick.

Monty

Has always been one of my favorites also. Were there ever any articles with any technical info published on the engine/airframe?

TXFlyGuy

Was the cause of the accident determined? OK...I just read that it was an airframe failure of the starboard wing. I guess this was not related to the V8 engine.

rv6ejguy

Structural failure for reasons undetermined so far. The Sport Class aircraft are now reaching speeds where serious flutter testing past max level speed while pulling rolling G needs to be done prior to the race. Not saying this wasn't done in this case but many competitors in years past were found to have done limited or insufficient testing prior to the event. Guidelines clamped down on a few years back makes this a clear requirement but compliance may not be 100% still. There have been quite a number of flutter/ structural failures over the years. You have very little chance at 100 feet and 400 mph if something like this happens.

BoKu

Pundit
HBA Supporter
Flutter. Nothing strikes fear into a pilots heart more than this.
I don't know the truth either way, but as I understand it there is some dispute around whether or not the cause was flutter. Some witnesses saw cyclical flashes from the airplane and thought it was flutter, and some saw the same flashes and thought it was the airplane missing a wing and rolling over and over.

Thanks, Bob K.