GP-5 or Polen Special similar designs.

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Jwhallon

I'm looking to build a racer-type aircraft like the GP-5 or the Polen Special but can't find any plans for something like them. Specifically it must have centerline seating, neighborhood of 300mph vne, and perform well in cruse around 15,000 msl. What do you guys know of out there? Thanks!

Pilot Rick

Harmon Rocket is about the only thing I can think of that you could build. There is a Harmon Rocket III out there if you want a single seat. I think only 2 have been built.

Jwhallon

Harmon Rocket is about the only thing I can think of that you could build. There is a Harmon Rocket III out there if you want a single seat. I think only 2 have been built.
Thanks for the input Rick. I'll add that to the list. I was hoping to find something that has retract gear but not a requirement.

rv6ejguy

Not sure if the P85 retracts are still in the mix. I talked to the new owners about supplying EFI for new builds over a year ago and it was mentioned as a possibility in the future. I haven't seen much movement for a while on this project but perhaps they are still busy putting things in motion to produce parts.

BJC

HBA Supporter
The OP wants retracts... unless my memory fails me, Jeff was working on retracts for the P85. Did that fall off the radar when he sold his business?

Edit to add: this would be my choice!
You are correct. I was thinking of the Radial Rocket RG, and thought, incorrectly, that the P85 had the same option.

Either one, RR or P85, is an airplane that would be a nice addition to anyone’s hangar.

BJC

BJC

HBA Supporter
Wondering why the requirement for retracts? If the airplane meets the performance numbers, who cares what's hanging out in the wind? My fixed gear Rocket blows right past most piston singles available - regardless of gear configuration.
I had a switch, disconnected from its original purpose, in my first airplane that I treated as a gear switch. I wanted to develop the habit of always checking gear position during landing check list. I still GUMP, but prefer fixed gear.

BJC

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
The high, long, fast cross country mission is of significant interest to me - not sure if this is the OP's as well, or if he's looking for a "racer". My Rocket is an attempt to fill MY mission but it does come up short on the "high and long" part. I can add more gas easy enough, but the stubby little wings suffer above 10k. No easy fix for that.

That said, if I could "Frankenstein engineer" something, I think a F-4 Raider would be a good start. Turbo normalize a 360, and add higher aspect wing like a RV-9 or 10 and you would be there. Good seating position of the Rocket, plenty of room for a turbo under the long Rocket cowl, plenty of fuel, and a nice long wing for flight in the teens.

Tiger Tim

I had a switch, disconnected from its original purpose, in my first airplane that I treated as a gear switch. I wanted to develop the habit of always checking gear position during landing check list.
Thread drift: you clearly had the discipline (or luck) to make this work but there are instances where insisting on checking the position of fixed gear led to the subconscious notion that the gear check was pointless and subsequently bent some metal on a type with retracts.

TFF

I think a Rocket with some Wittman like wing tips would be close. There is not going to be a lot in this category except what has been mentioned because they are all very expensive planes to build. A used Rocket would be flat out cheap compared to building a RR/P85. The sane people spending this much will go buy a turbine P210, where they can bring a party, and have a Pitts to just burn fuel. A friend sold his TBM700 bought a turbo Aerostar which has given him time to put back together his RV8 that he has had decommissioned for 15 years instead of working to pay for that TBM. It’s don’t care about just going fast, they want their stuff to go fast too. Just a small market and most of them could buy a P-51.

Jwhallon

I really like that BJC suggested the Brokaw Bullet. It really is exactly what I was looking for. I hear that plans are rare so I'm going to start looking around. Does anyone have any leads as to where I could find the Brokaw Bullet plans?

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Interesting performance contrast if the wiki page is somewhat accurate - the Brokaw Bullet is 30 knots slower than my Rocket at sea level (190 vs. 220). That said, my NA Lycoming would really be wheezing at FL 200

rv6ejguy

Interesting performance contrast if the wiki page is somewhat accurate - the Brokaw Bullet is 30 knots slower than my Rocket at sea level (190 vs. 220). That said, my NA Lycoming would really be wheezing at FL 200
Add a turbo and that would be remedied. Add 2 more bays to the wings to each side and it would be great up there. Dave Anders has a bigger wing on his RV-4 as did Bruce Bohannon's Flyin' Tiger which went to 47,000 feet I believe.

speedracer

Want to build (or buy) a fast airplane? Go to the Reno Air Races and see which plane wins the Gold Sports Class. Whichever does will be doing 400 + MPH laps. That fast enough?

JDub

Lancair Legacy? How about a Turbine Legend.? If money is of no object, Epic? There is one two hangars down from me. One mission...High, fast, burn lots of gas...the owner can afford it. I like the Rocket...Next for me is a MM1 with a 320. A Polen Special would be a stretched MM1 O-320 with retracts and stuff as much stuff as you can in every nook and cranny.

JDub

Those 400 MPH laps...the majority on do that for just those 400MPH laps. Everyday flying would be a no go pushing engines like that. My Cassutt with the O-200...I push 2800 cruise. That is where the least vibration is-but it's 50 over the factory red line. Some owners don't like doing that.