Got A Screw Loose!

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Dan Thomas

Yes..if the bushing is too long in relation to the hole and you will not get the wire through the hole, too short and you could shear the wire....making the bushing a little short and using thin washers or shim stock so it clamps but does not shear is the trick. ....Or good measurement of location of the hole and a lathe to make the bushing. I really like 4130 tube for bushings, I would not use a sinterned bronze bushing (oil-lite) here as they are pretty brittle. I have never used navel bronze in a strength application (ranther than a bushing supported by other material) so I do not know how it would behave. I did once try to cut an oil-lite bushing and it crumbled.
OilLite has its place, but it's not in anything structural like this. C93200 bronze should work, but it's a bit softer than steel and might compress, shorten and swell, increasing its OD and defeating the hole-clearance idea. C1018 steel or mild steel would be fine. Brass is harder, but as a bushing it wears too quickly. With thinner walls it cracks.

lr27

For a little extra trouble, maybe you could make a clamp which would spread the clamping load over a longer distance. The clamp could thread onto a bolt. Or maybe someone makes one already. Best if the wire lines up with the pivot axis of the bolt. I've attached a picture of what I have in mind. It's not at all to scale, it needs chamfers and/or fillets, doesn't show threads, etc. It requires an opposite piece that doesn't have the threads or the 'boss". That opposite piece might just be a plate with two holes in it. There's probably a simpler way to make it that I haven't thought of yet.

cableclamppictures.jpg

Dan Thomas

This thing grabs the wire without damaging it:
1586034727546.png
From Wire Grip On Wicks Aircraft Supply

I've never used one and so don't know just how firmly it holds. It would have to thread into a block of some sort, or rod end, to be attached to the lever. The other thing to consider with something like this is the added distance between the cable housing and its clamp and the lever being actuated; more distance means more likelyhood of the wire bending under a compression (pushing) load.

lr27

A right angle bend could fit in a very snug hole and be retained with a clip. Look at a Dubro EZ Link, though somehow I think using nylon would be a bad idea. An additional spacer of some sort to keep the bend in the wire away from the control horn might be a good idea.

Come to think of it, there are lots of ideas you might find in model airplane hardware catalogs. Maybe some of the hardware for giant scale would be hefty,enough for a trim tab, though I don't know if the quality control would match AN hardware.

The wire grip reminds me of prop adapters as used on electric model airplane motors. Those grip tenaciously. However, I don't know if the wire grip actually uses the same principle.

Daleandee

FWIW ... Here is a short video of the flight where I discovered the trim lever connection had slipped and not allowed for as much nose down trim as needed.

I love the answer that he gives to whether he liked his airplane ride!

Dale

Last edited:

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Dale, your Corvair sounds magnificent.

Mcmark

I too, love the sound!
Reminds me of the engine I learned to fly behind, a Franklin in a Stinson 108-3.
Just love that 6 talking!

TerryM76

HBA Supporter
Dale. Have you added another month of flying to your Cleanex? Any concerns, ideas, or suggestions for anyone considering using a Corvair in their project?

Daleandee

Dale. Have you added another month of flying to your Cleanex? Any concerns, ideas, or suggestions for anyone considering using a Corvair in their project?
Most all of my experience has been with my engine in my airplane. But I get an incredible amount of email, text messages, and calls from other builders asking questions. One gentleman took a commercial flight quite a distance to come and photograph my plane in detail as he wanted to build a clone of the Cleanex and Dan Weseman (SPA) suggested that he come and see me. Just this week I got video of another Corvair powered Sonex (actually converted it from a VW to Corvair) that flew last week. This gentleman had sold his plane with VW power to a friend and helped him convert it to a Corvair and agreed to do the first flight on it. I warned him to take his checkbook because he would want to buy the plane back. He emailed me and said, "You (here again a wise man) told me that once I flew it I would be sorry I sold it. You are correct."

Don't know if you've seen the threads on the Sonex forum with my comments about the Corvair. The threads are fairly long but both have some good info in them.

Here was some reasons I gave for why considering a Corvair for aircraft use makes sense (this applies to the WW conversion only):

Here also is more of the reasons that I gave for justifying my choice:

Hope this helps ...